Will reinstalling windows 11 delete predator sense on Helios neo 16

Options
Sherryyyy
Sherryyyy Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

so I have some issues with the wifi card on the laptop and I think reinstalling windows is the only option atp. I’ll use the reinstall button that comes in windows but I’m worried if that will delete the Acer predator sense app that came pre installed because without that I won’t be able to control the laptop and the fan speeds etc

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,504 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, both Clean install Windows and even "Reset this PC without losing your files" will erase all non-Windows programs, it will leave Office programs installed but most settings and folders like Outlook Adress book will be gone. So make sure you back those up and save your product keys/installation instructions and favorites-bookmarks to another drive. Are you sure the issue is with your Wi-Fi card and not with Windows Network settings, your router or the server (ISP)? I would investigate that first. Also "Restoring to an earlier point" is the classic way to fix adapter driver and system issues: type Restore in Search and click on Create a Restore point, then click on restore to an earlier point, chose a date when your Wi-Fi was still working. If you don't see any restore points that means this very important and useful feature was turned off. 😶

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,504 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, both Clean install Windows and even "Reset this PC without losing your files" will erase all non-Windows programs, it will leave some programs installed but most settings and folders like e-mail Adress books will be gone. So, make sure you back those up and save your product keys/installation instructions and favorites-bookmarks to another drive. Are you sure the issue is with your Wi-Fi card and not with Windows Network settings, your router or the server (ISP)? I would investigate that first. Also "Restoring to an earlier point" is the classic way to fix adapter driver and system issues: type Restore in Search and click on Create a Restore point, then click on restore to an earlier point, chose a date when your Wi-Fi was still working. If you don't see any restore points that means this very important and useful feature was turned off. 😶

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

Likely a better solution is to diagnose what's wrong with the WiFi card without going all radical with a reinstall of the OS… What errors are shown in Device Manager? What is you full model number and which WLAN card is installed?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Sherryyyy

Tinkerer

Options

my laptop has the killer 1650i wireless card and it’s the PHN16 laptop. I did install the official intel killer suite drivers for the wifi card and it started working again but once again it stopped working the next day. And now the drivers are up to date, no clue what’s wrong with the laptop

• billsey
    Options

OK, so likely one of the many different Predator PHN16-71 models. The differences between them tend to be minor though and I believe all are using the AX201 Killer 1650i card. What does Device Manager say when you are having the issues?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Sherryyyy

Tinkerer

Options

device manager either gives code 43 or code 10 or both.

• billsey
    Options

OK, are you still in warranty? If so it's likely best at this point to turn it over to Acer for a repair. If you are out of warranty my next step would be to reseat the WLAN card, in case you are building up some corrosion on the contacts. To do that you have something like 11 screws to remove to get the case bottom off, then you disconnect or remove the battery, then remove the screw holding the WLAN card in place:

If reseating it a few times, with or without cleaning the contacts with alcohol, doesn't help the card has likely failed and should be replaced with another AX201. You can also use an AX211 or AX411 since those both work with the the 13th chipsets.

• Sherryyyy

Tinkerer

Options

so I recently got it from best buy and I’m pretty sure it came with a one year warranty which is still valid because it’s barely been a month since I got it, that’s also partially why I think there shouldn’t be corrosion in the connector since it’s barely been used. The only issue right now is that I won’t be able to send it over to Acer this year since I’m no longer in the USA and the country I am currently in doesn’t have any Acer repair centres. Also considering just using a USB wifi adapter instead since they’re usually cheap but I’m not so sure about the wifi speeds or the reliability of that solution.

• billsey
    Options

Acer has an international warranty process, contact them to see if it will work in your situation. In humid or smoggy environments you are much more likely to see contact corrosion early, but with it only one month old I agree it shouldn't be the cause.