Missing IDE ATA/ATAPI external DVD player that isn't working on my laptop.

Options
isutami
isutami Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in Aspire Laptops

I have an external DVD player that isn't working on my laptop. I've done hours of searching and can't figure out what to do. The first step was to correct the missing DVD/CD-Rom driver in device manager (uninstalled an update and it reappeared), but that didn't fix the problem. The next step appears to be uninstalling the IDE ATA/ATAPI driver with the idea that it will be replaced at next startup with the newest version. Problem is that there IS no such thing in my device manager even after clicking "show hidden devices." I'm running Windows 11, 64-bit system.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 10,395 Trailblazer
    Options

If this is an older non-Plug and Play USB DVD player it will be next to impossible to get it detected by W11, you can try to add the Atapi driver in the registry. First export this key to one of your folders: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\

In the Command Prompt, copy and paste the following command:
    reg.exe add “HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0” /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

If that does not work, just delete the Controller0 key in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi or click on the exported .reg key in your folder and click on Yes, the system will confirm that the key is restored.
    https://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-play/windows-11-not-recognizing-dvd-drive.htm#command

• isutami

Tinkerer

Options

Thank you so much for trying to help! I'm not sure what PnP is even after googling it - it's just an external DVD player that I connect to the USB port. I tried what you suggested and got an error message. This is what it looked like:

C:\Users\Acer>reg.exe add “HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0” /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

ERROR: Invalid key name.Type "REG ADD /?" for usage.

C:\Users\Acer>"REG ADD /?"'

"REG ADD /?"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 10,395 Trailblazer
    edited September 2023
    Options

Open the Command Prompt as administrator and try again, you can also skip .exe just use reg add:
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/reg-add

PnP means "Plug and Play" and has been around since 2000, it means windows compatible. 😀

• isutami

Tinkerer

Options

So apparently the problem with that command line was not opening it as an admin. When I did, the sequence you sent worked. Also, I understand what the words plug and play mean, just not sure I understand the concept - if the device is something I just plug into a USB port, doesn't that make it PnP?
    I tried everything on that page you linked with no luck. I'm finding this very frustrating since there are a lot of DVDs/audiobooks I'd like to be able to play.

• isutami

Tinkerer

Options

Is this an Acer issue or a Windows issue? If no one here can help I'd like to find someone from whichever company it is to give me some answers.

• isutami

Tinkerer

Options

Actually, I just found this:
    3. How to play DVDs on Windows 11 without a DVD drive?

If your computer doesn't come with an optical drive, you need to get an external DVD drive to open a DVD. Most DVD drives have a USB cable, and you simply need to insert the DVD into the external DVD drive and connect the USB cable to the computer, then you should be able to open the DVD as normal. Note that a DVD player app is still required to open a DVD on Windows 11 via an external DVD drive.

Tried installing 5K and VLC, but still can't see the external drive in File Explorer and neither program seems to see it.