Predator G3-710 Upgrading the graphics card

Options
Broders
Broders Member Posts: 1 New User
edited September 2023 in Predator Laptops

Hi all,

Have been gifted a Geoforce RTX 2080Ti 11g 32 bit graphics card.

Been told my son that my PSU needs upgrading and he recommends a 1000w power supply.

Is this right and if so any advice which PSU would be the best?

Will the graphics card make a great difference currently using Name HP w2408 on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB?

see below the info about pc

Thanks in advance

Broders

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• themero
    themero Member Posts: 49 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options

it looks like you have a standard ATX psu so your pretty much good to go with any power supply , and yes the 2080 is a huge improvement over the 1060 .

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2080-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/4027vs3639

but .. your cpu is a weak link here , it could hold back the 2080 and it wont perform at its full potential . you could upgrade it to an i7 7700 but i'm not sure how much help that would be for the 2080.

also i think 1000w is slightly OTT , you could probably get away with a 750-800w psu . . the 2080 can use around 250w running at full speed , take into account the cpu , memory , drives , fans etc and we could probably say were around 500w already , but its always best to get a psu with more power in reserve just in case the system needs it ( plus it wont blow up from getting streesed lol )