Acer Predator PH317-56 Inconsistent volume levels

Options
KBaltadzhiev
KBaltadzhiev Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello Acer community!

I found a similar issue on this forum which is this one:

but there was not really a solution that fits my issue so here goes:

Had my Predator laptop (PH317-56) for about 8 months now. There's this weird issue with changing volume levels and it seems that it's happening at random. Mid-gaming I get a sudden audible volume decrease and have to bump the windows volume levels by 10-15 units. Some sounds get muffled and it's like the EQ changed drastically. This gets fixed most of the time by closing the game, waiting a bit and starting it again. Unfortunately for my troubleshooting, this procedure does NOT have a 100% success rate.

What I've done so far.

1 - I downgraded the Realtek audio driver to v. 6.0.9309.1 which is specified in the Acer support page. Windows automatically downloaded DTS Sound Unbound and I setup DTS:X Ultra.

2 - I switched the DTS:X to Custom Audio instead of Automatic and tweaked the EQ. This setting also applies to the Predator Sense "Acer True Harmony" setting so I assume that it works properly.

3 - In Windows Settings → Sound → Speakers I have the Audio Enhancements to "Device default effects" (so DTS is active) and Spatial Sound to "Off"

4 - Turning off the Audio Enhancements in Windows settings. This makes the overall volume levels super low even when maxed out and it's not pleasant to use the machine.

All of the above didn't manage to fix my issue and I still get the sudden volume decreases. Any tips towards what can be causing this are appreciated and I thank you all in advance.

P.S. I also wanted to ask if there's an option to upgrade the speakers to better ones? The bass is literally non-existent and I often get pops and crackles on this "high-end" laptop. :( I really don't want to use external speakers as a solution and wondered if there's a better option out there that can be built in.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,064 Trailblazer
    edited September 2023
    Options

I have NO problems with FxSound sound enhancer, which is free. Yes, the volume in these laptops are low but if you use an enhancer then its works pretty well for listening to music, I've got a fairly new Nitro 5 model and that happens on this model too. Don't forget, that allot of it is the actual game stream and online volume quality and volume transmission levels, which also happens with the actual way that you can adjust volume on these laptops, as it changes.

On my laptop, I have two ways that I can change/increase the volume, #1 - the volume can be adjusted from the right speaker icon on the desktop up to 100% and its really loud, #2 if you can't do that, then you can only adjust the volume from either within your Bluetooth headphones volume controls + or - or the Bluetooth speakers' volume control +or -, as really today's laptops are NOT designed to be a world leading Hi-Fi sound apparatus, but they do have a very acceptable sound with a top quality high end sound deadening BT headphone.