BIOS update on Veriton X2632G "this version of afudos.exe is not compatible with the version"

Options
lairlair
lairlair Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in Legacy Desktops

Hi all!

I've picked up a second hand Acer Veriton X2631G with i3-4130, 8GB Ram and an SSD. Updated to windows 10 and installed the drivers. I wanted to update the BIOS too and following the instructions from Acer I have to boot with dos and run the flash command. When I do it I'm greeted with the message: "this version of afudos.exe is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running". Any idea how to fix that? Ive been running DOS out of the recovery tool from Windows 10. Not sure how else I'm supposed to run dos commands.

Thank you!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• lairlair

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Alright, I found the solution on another thread of this forum, here it is explained again if anyone else has the same issue. The latest BIOS available wasn't compatible with my model.

Check your BIOS version: click on the start menu/press the windows key and type "run", press Enter. Type in the command "msinfo32"

Press OK, it'll show you some info

You can only update BIOS versions that start with the same letter and number combination to your current one. For me, P21-B0 was my current version, so I was able to update to P21-B4. So if you download the latest available and follow the instructions in the README file it should work. The other ones are for similar models of Veriton that have different generations of CPUs in them, as far as I understand.

Then the PC restarted a few times, I needed to check the BIOS options and it all worked fine again.

Answers

• lairlair

Tinkerer

Options

Right, I managed to boot via Rufus's freeDOS but now the error message is Error: ROM file ROMID is not compatible with the existing BIOS ROMID

Someone online suggested to try with few sticks of ram, which I tried and it didn't accomplish anything. Any ideas?

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

Hi @lairlair the latest version compatible with your device and system is the following:

Is it the one you are trying to install?

Thank you.

All the best.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• lairlair

Tinkerer

Options

Hi Alejandro, thanks for your reply. Yes, I've tried with both without success.

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

I don't know what could be happening, in the installation documentation it shows the following, I suppose you already reviewed it:

Thank you.
    All the best.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

X (Twitter)

• lairlair

Tinkerer

edited September 2023
    Options

Yeah I've meticulously followed the instructions. No idea what it's all about.

Oh, typo in the title, it's a Veriton X2631G. Still, that doesn't change much.

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

I don't think it's important, but before upgrading to Windows 10, what was the operating system installed?

Thank you.
    All the best.

X (Twitter)

• lairlair

Tinkerer

Options

Yes it was running windows 7, I didn't think it was very wise to use it still for security

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

Yes, he did well.
    I can only think that the latest version of BIOS is not really compatible with Windows 10, the latest version of BIOS was released in May 2015 and Windows 10 was released in July 2015.

Thank you.
    All the best.

X (Twitter)

• lairlair

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Alright, I found the solution on another thread of this forum, here it is explained again if anyone else has the same issue. The latest BIOS available wasn't compatible with my model.

Check your BIOS version: click on the start menu/press the windows key and type "run", press Enter. Type in the command "msinfo32"

Press OK, it'll show you some info

You can only update BIOS versions that start with the same letter and number combination to your current one. For me, P21-B0 was my current version, so I was able to update to P21-B4. So if you download the latest available and follow the instructions in the README file it should work. The other ones are for similar models of Veriton that have different generations of CPUs in them, as far as I understand.

Then the PC restarted a few times, I needed to check the BIOS options and it all worked fine again.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,587 Trailblazer
    Options

https://community.acer.com/en/profile/ronaldmorgan

You've posted to an Acer users forum. We are neither Acer employees nor customer service representatives. Other than the suggestions made earlier, you should click the Contact Support link on your country's Acer home page, enter your machine's serial number id (SNID) and use the contact methods provided to arrange for Acer to address your issue.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

The P11 and P21 BIOS versions are for different motherboard. They are not interchangeable.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.