SA5-271 won't turn on after battery replacement

Options
86er
86er Member Posts: 7 New User

Installed new battery, seemed to be charging on, but would not turn on. Tried all the button presses, battery removal, etc. Measured voltage on battery connector pins: 8.4V. Measured at USB port: nothing. After reinstalling battery after measurement, pressed power, blue light for 20-30 sec. Then amber. Charger voltage is right on. Any help?

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,870 Trailblazer
    Options

Assuming you can't boot even with only the power adapter (battery disconnected)?
    First see if there is a small pinhole in the back of your laptop (with a battery sign) and stick a pin in that hole till you feel it click (micro switch), keep pressing the pin for a few seconds. (Skip this next step if you already tried this) If no results, open the back of the laptop and disconnect the battery cable from the motherboard, Close the back again and plug-in the adapter, try to boot without battery. If that works you need to replace the battery. If you still cannot boot, try a Hard Reset and Power Drain: Unplug the power adapter and open the back of the laptop again (battery should still be disconnected). Locate the CMOS module (with 2 twisted wires Red and Black) and remove the coin battery. Shorten the +/- contacts inside the CMOS capsule with a bended paper clip for 2 seconds and put the coin battery back with the + sign facing up, close the CMOS capsule. Next, take the DDR4 module out of the slot and put it firmly back, secure the DDR4 bracket till you hear a loud click. Press the Power Button on the keyboard for 10-15 seconds and reconnect the battery cable to the motherboard. Close the laptop, plug-in the adapter and try to boot. You also may want to uninstall the 2 MS ACPI battery controllers and just reboot; Windows will reinstall the drivers.

• 86er
    Options

Thanks for your suggestions. No pinhole reset on this model. Won't boot without battery. Battery is brand new and is putting out nominal voltage. Pretty sure the CMOS battery is hidden under the huge copper chamber that contains the liquid cooling medium (no fan). Ditto for the DDR4 module, which I'm pretty sure is soldered on board.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,961 Trailblazer
    Options

The Switch Alpha 12 doesn't have a CMOS battery per se. It uses the system battery instead for that function. It's possible you put the wrong battery in, but more likely you didn't get one of the cables reconnected fully.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • 86er
    edited September 2023
    Options

Thanks, Billsey, for your post. It's the right battery —type number AP16B4 J— as the original Acer-labeled part. There's only one cable involved, the battery cable to the motherboard. It fits correctly and makes a quite audible click when it's firmly seated. I did have a problem with the ribbon cable connection from the motherboard to the inside of the lid for keyboard connection. But no KB is needed for the PC to operate. Still have 8.4 volts measured at both red-black pairs in connector. When I press power button, no matter how long or short a press, I get blue light for about 15-20 sec, and then it turns off. No boot activity at all.

Any other thoughts?

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

What happens when you plug the old battery back in?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • 86er
    Options

Trailblazer, unfortunately, while trying to pry the original battery out of the gunk Acer used to affix it to the back of the screen, I must have damaged it. I tried plugging it in and also tested the leads with a voltmeter.

I've given up, I need my computer. I've ordered a replacement.

• 86er
    Options

Thanks, Billsey, for your post. It's the right battery —type number AP16B4 J— as the original Acer-labeled part. There's only one cable involved, the battery cable to the motherboard. It fits correctly and makes a quite audible click when it's firmly seated. I did have a problem with the ribbon cable connection from the motherboard to the inside of the lid for keyboard connection. But no KB is needed for the PC to operate. Still have 8.4 volts measured at both red-black pairs in connector. When I press power button, no matter how long or short a press, I get blue light for about 15-20 sec, and then it turns off. No boot activity at all.

Any other thoughts?

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,870 Trailblazer
    Options

I recommend bringing your laptop to Acer Services in your country to reset the system to factory defaults for a small service charge of $25 in the Philippines. 😉