Upgrade Acer Predator G3610 to Windows 11

Options
xcn
xcn Member Posts: 4 New User

I have an ACER Predator G3610 with an Intel I7 2600 processor
I am interested to upgrade it to Win11 without have to reinstall all my APP's and config.
Can anybody point me to a kit or kinda of motherboard + processor certified for Win11 to be able to make this upgrade?
Thanks

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,941 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

You are likely stepping into a swamp if you want to start off with a new MB and using the windows on your old disk. Better to do a fresh install (either W10 or W11) on the new motherboard, then migrate apps and data from the old drive. The drivers for your old system will not be correct for much of anything on the new one and as you suggest manually getting rid of old drivers for hardware that no longer exists in a system is a real pain. A backup of the old system should include all your data and your profile settings so you should really only have to reinstall your apps to a new system, then restore the backup to get back really close to your current setup. I'd start with W10, get it back to where you are now for apps, data and settings, then upgrade to W11.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Options

Microsoft says you need an 8th gen or newer CPU and chipset to run Windows 11. Your motherboard is a uATX for factor, so most any motherboards in that size range will fit. Be aware you will be replacing the MB, memory and CPU at a minimum, so you might just look for a newer machine…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • xcn
    Options

I would like to replace just the motherboard (better from the same Acer family) and processor (better i7) running the same Samsung SSD 860 Pro 1TB boot disc, 16GB DDR3 memory and graphics card with so many configurated programs I have there. What I ty to do is to avoid starting from scratch to install so many already configurated programs I have running fine. Thanks for your answer.

• billsey
    Options

Any new enough motherboard and CPU will not support the old DDR3 memory. You will likely be able to reuse the GPU and certainly the SSD, but will have to purchase memory that matches the new system. Note that depending on what GPU you have now, the builtin graphics of the CPU might be faster…

• xcn
    Options

Thanks. I see I have not options. Will try to run a copy of my current boot disk in a new system praying to don't have to config everything from scratch, that can take me months.

• StevenGen
    Options

The apps and software that you have running in your Predator G3610 2nd Gen CPU DDR3 desktop running with Win-8 OS will be totally different for a system running Win-11 that will have to have to run with a minimum Intel 8th Gen CPU, DDR4 ram and an SSD boot drive. As most Win-8 apps will not work with Win-11 OS, you can try the compatibility option in Win-11 as that is your only option and see if these old apps will operate with Win-11?

Best option for you is to look for a used uATX 8th Gen mainboard with TPM 2.0 chip and with an Intel 8th Gen cpu, and even with DDR4 ram combination, that will fit into the Predator G315 case, they are available on eBay or Amazon or places like that for sale, as you will be able to salvage the oem 24pin 500W PSU, but the old GPUs are just too old for Win-11 so don't use the GPU that came with your Predator G3610 desktop. You will be much better off upgrading to a new GPU like a cheap GTX1050 or and even a GTX1650 with at least 4GB GDDR5 memory. As if you do all these upgrades, it will not cost you much to upgrade and you will have a compatible Win-11 desktop inside the Predator G3610 case.

• xcn
    Options

I never said I run Win8. I run Win10 with 16GB DD3 of memory with a I7 CPU, the SSD 860 Pro and some teras of storage and believe me that it is not totally different to any current I7-11th Gen CPU. I have one of these with Win11 as well and to me and my use, are very similar. I am also happy enough with my current AMD Radeon HD 6570 with 1 GB that came with the system because I am not playing games. But well I already did my mind to get a new system and try to run a copy of my boot disk on it to avoid configurating all from scratch that is the main issue. I will give a second thought about what you pointed. Thanks for your answer.

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

You are likely stepping into a swamp if you want to start off with a new MB and using the windows on your old disk. Better to do a fresh install (either W10 or W11) on the new motherboard, then migrate apps and data from the old drive. The drivers for your old system will not be correct for much of anything on the new one and as you suggest manually getting rid of old drivers for hardware that no longer exists in a system is a real pain. A backup of the old system should include all your data and your profile settings so you should really only have to reinstall your apps to a new system, then restore the backup to get back really close to your current setup. I'd start with W10, get it back to where you are now for apps, data and settings, then upgrade to W11.