Can you put an SSD with heatsink in Acer Predator Helios Neo 16 (PHN16-71)?

Options
Omnipotens
Omnipotens Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter

So I read that you can upgrade the storage using a PCIe Gen4 M.2 SSD with a 2280 form factor for this laptop model.

However, some said that SSDs with heatsink are not compatible with this model since these SSDs are too thick, and would not fit. These are some examples of the said SSDs with heatsinks that won't fit:

I would like to ask if this ADATA Legend 850 Lite PCIE GEN4 X4 M.2 2280 Internal SSD with heatsink would fit inside the laptop:

Its technical specifications state that its height is about 3.63mm. Would this fit Acer Predator Helios Neo 16 (PHN16-71)?

Thanks a lot!

Best Answer

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,804 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Omnipotens

That ADATA SSD will surely fit inside the laptop with a slim heatsink.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Omnipotens

That ADATA SSD will surely fit inside the laptop with a slim heatsink.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options

These sites can help you: https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Predator-PHN16-71/296896 and https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Predator-PH16-71/302244

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • rolltideboom
    rolltideboom Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

https://community.acer.com/en/profile/AnhEZ28 would a Samsung 990 Pro 2TB internal SSD PCIe Gen 4x4 NVMe AND an Insignia heatsink enclosure for m.2 NVMe SSDs work on the PNH 16-71?

• AnhEZ28
    edited March 20
    Options

@rolltideboom

The 990 Pro will work but the heatsink will not fit inside the laptop.

• rolltideboom
    Options

so question- I purchased 32GB (2x16GB) 4800 MHz RAM and I installed it in the PHN 16-71. When I turned on the computer again, the screen did not come on. Did I get the wrong MHz RAM? Should it have been 5600 MHz?

• rolltideboom
    Options

should the RAM have been 5600MHz?

• rolltideboom
    Options

https://community.acer.com/en/profile/AnhEZ28 I attempted putting in 2x16GB DDR5 RAM, 4800 MHz into my PNH 16-71 last night. When I turned on the computer, the keyboard illuminated but the screen did not come on. Concerned that I screwed it up, I put the original 2x8GB DDR5 RAM back in the computer and it worked just fine. Should I be using 5600 MHz? Or, if not, can you tell me what I did wrong?

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@rolltideboom

Is the original RAM kit is 5600MHz?

Note that when installing a new DDR5 module, the system can take about 5 minutes to POST for the new memory training.

• LoneStarXD
    LoneStarXD Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Depends on processor. i7 is max 4800Mhz and i9 is max 5600Mhz compatible. Before you install the new Ram, turn off fast boot in the bios. Took mine a good 3-4 minutes to fully power back on after I installed 2 24GB Corsair sticks.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,986 Trailblazer
    Options

You don't need a heatsink for the M.2 SSD in the PHN16-71 laptop as Acer has a special graphite heat dissipating foil for the M.2 SSD drives with that they wrap their M.2 SSD drives with. A heatsink is too thick and will not allow the back cover to be closed, so be aware of that as the ADATA Legend 850 Lite PCIE GEN4 X4 M.2 2280 Internal SSD with heatsink will do the same and will not fit. Buy the ADATA Legend 850 Lite PCIE GEN4 X4 M.2 2280 drive without the heatsink and wrap it with the below foil. Good luck.

These are the two types of oem Acer foils that Acer uses, so buy either of these foils and wrap the ADATA Legend 850 Lite M.2 SSD drive with this foil:

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍