Touchpad no longer working on Aspire 5 A515-54

izamuse
izamuse Member Posts: 2 New User

The touchpad has randomly stopped working on my aspire 5, no mouse appears, and I cannot use any of the 3 finger swipe functions.

What I have done so far to try and solve the problem:

1. Toggled Fn + F7 several times
  2. Restarted the computer
  3. Went into device manager, uninstalled the driver under 'mice and other pointing devices', then restarted the computer
  4. Went into the BIOS to look for anything mouse or touchpad related. There was nothing there at all. Pressing ctrl + s did not find anything either
  5. Went to the acer site and installed these two drivers (also could not find any Serial I/O driver for this model).

This is what my device manager looks like currently

Any help would be greatly appreciated 🙏

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,621 Trailblazer
    edited September 2023

Seeing that you have done all the software side of getting your touchpad to work, the next thing that you need to do, is to open the laptop (see PDF guide included below from the SG) and check the connecting cable that go from the touchpad to the mainboard and check if its not lose and its making 100% contact with its mainboard or touchpad plugs, as that is one of the main reasons why a touchpad does not work. If that is not the issue, then you have a faulty touchpad unit and you need to change it for a new one. I've included below all the information for the touchpad cable and touchpad for your Aspire A515-54 laptop and its Acer part numbers, so good luck and hope this helps you out as you can't fix touchpads, as once they don't work you need to change them!

• izamuse
    izamuse Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll give it a go and see what comes of it.