Acer Swift 3 2018 SF314-54-580s motherboard replacement

jamesdarius
jamesdarius Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited September 2023 in Swift and Spin Series

Hi guys was told my laptop processor had died and was thinking of doing a diy motherboard replacement. Could u guys tell me what motherboard should I buy? I have opened up the laptop but I think the sticker with the model number has been ripped off. thanks

Answers

• jamesdarius

it had the i5 8250 u if i remember correctly

• jamesdarius

also was wondering if it will possible to upgrade your processor to a better one by buying a newer motherboard that fits and how to find those model numbers that will fit. thanks in advance

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    edited September 2023

Here are the motherboard available for your model:

Normally with laptops that is pretty much all that will fit, since they design the case and MB to match. So, i5-8250U or i7-8550U CPU and 4GB onboard. Note though that the i7 version is for a SF314-54G, which has a discrete GPU onboard. The design is old enough I'd look on the secondary market for a used one, and go for the faster option unless it's a lot more expensive. Other than the i7 vs i5 and discrete vs integrated GPU they are identical. You might need a bigger PSU for the G type, they suggest 65W instead of the 45W yours uses.

Ah, thought of another difference. The heat pipe off the CPU on the G model has an extra portion for the GPU chip, so if you buy a used G MB make sure that is included…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jamesdarius

Thanks for the reply. Can i just check that the G version for i5 8250u and integrated i7 8550u is not supported? also the seller that i have been talking to is advising me to just go for integrated gpu (either i7 or i5) instead of discrete. is there a reason why he is recommending that?

• jamesdarius

i am unable to find the part number for the heat pipe as well

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,235 Pathfinder

@jamesdarius here is the part number of the heat sink

I tried finding these things and surely is difficult to see one of them selling online. You can just go with the integrated CPU mainboard if you cannot find the heat sink for the discrete GPU version.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • jamesdarius

@AnhEZ28 hello thanks for your reply! I used the supported motherboard model (314-54G) to search for the heatsink for discrete GPU and found the part number 24.GXKN1.001. Will that be compatible?

Also the motherboard seller doesnt have i7 8550u discrete in stock but has the i5 8250u discrete instead. Will that board be compatible as it is not in the list or should I play it safe and buy the first motherboard on the list instead? thank u

• AnhEZ28

@jamesdarius if the heat sink you found is for the 314-54G model, it will work.

Both i7 and i5 motherboard has the same connectors and screw holes so you can get the i5 board instead.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • billsey

They didn't make an i7 with integrated GPU or an i5 with discrete GPU. Either will fit you case, so getting the one with the i7 is likely going to be a better deal, since it will be faster for GPU active apps. Ask the seller to include the heat pipe with the motherboard.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jamesdarius

@billsey @AnhEZ28 hi sry for having so many questions but I was just wondering if the list of motherboards is for my laptop the complete one. For eg in the link below my motherboard (.008) is listed as a replacement for another model of the Swift 3. Does that not mean I will technically be able to use those models as a replacement as well?

also this is the heatsink I found https://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/255402260827?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=26&ch=osgood&euid=b31b5fbe603a4bf49b61ea7d85ffcfe3&bu=45556728154&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20230905083100&segname=11051 . It would work right? Thank u

• AnhEZ28

@jamesdarius those listed motherboards should work for you but I'm unsure about the SF314-56 ones.

They don't post the real picture but it should have the discrete GPU heatsink portion. You can ask the seller to see if they can give you a look at it.

• jamesdarius

@AnhEZ28 The seller said that it is similar to the part number that u had gotten for me earlier. So it should be fine i think. About the SF314-56 motherboards, the motherboard seller sells the 8625u motherboard as well so was wondering if it would fit as it would more sustainable long term to have a slightly newer processor.

• AnhEZ28

@jamesdarius it has the same layout but I'm unsure about the compatibility with other components such as touchpad or keyboard if you try to get the SF314-56 board

• jamesdarius

@AnhEZ28 oh right did not think about that. Should I just go for the i5 8250 u motherboard or is it worth the risk? Is there any way to check that it will be compatible?

• They are the same mainboards, if you look above at the two captions, you can see that they are exactly the same, except one has an i5 cpu and the other has an i7 cpu, same and exact sizes and they will fit into each others laptop cases.

• jamesdarius

@StevenGen hi sorry for not being clear. I am deciding between i58250u and i58625u. because the 8625u is not in the official compatibility list for my laptop (probability because my laptop is older) but my laptops current motherboard is in the compatibility list of another newer Swift 3 which is compatible with the 8625u. so I am not sure if I will be able to go with the 8625u

• Which is the "compatibility list of another newer Swift 3" give us the model number, as then we could tell you if it is compatible and will fit. Remember that these mainboards have to be exactly the same shape to fit into the case, its not like a desktop where near enough is good enough.

• jamesdarius

@StevenGen hello the list I was referring to is in this post. My motherboard is listed as a replacement for a newer model so was wondering if it will fit

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,911 Trailblazer
    edited September 2023

jamesdarius, now that I know the other laptop is the Swift SF314-56 with the i5-8265U cpu, these two boards are not the same, if you look at the captions below, the charging port section of the two boards are different, and you will have to modify the side section of your SF314-54 laptop to fit the SF314-56 board.

The two boards look the same and have the exact same dimensions, but they are different, as in laptops if you have one different side port especially, then the board won't fit into the laptops case.

The two laptops dimensions are the same at Width: 32.30 cm (12.72") Depth: 22.80 cm (8.98") Height: 1.87 cm (0.74"). Its your call if you want to upgrade and modify your SF314-54 case to fit the SF314-56 board, as there could be other things that are different, so be aware of all of that aslo. Good luck and hope I've helped you out.

Swift SF314-54 with the i5-8250U Mainboard - Acer part Number: NB.GXL11.008

Swift SF314-56 Mainboard that has the i5-8265U - Acer part #: NB.H4D11.002

• billsey

Stay away from other models, there is no guaranty everything will fit. Choose either the i5 or the i7 motherboard we listed above (I'd look for the i7 myself) and it will be sure to fit your case.