Fixed but explanation wanted. No output to monitors or pheripherals, won't boot, "keyboard error"

Options
Fdkl
Fdkl Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Hello all,

My PC has an incident tonight where the monitors suddenly disconnected, followed by sound and peripherals, and the PC wouldn't boot with no beep codes or anything on monitor whatsoever. Upon restart attempt the fans would turn on but no sound or anything on either monitor, even after unplugging all unnecessary peripherals. I tried replugging power and that didn't work.

Acer support instructed me to unplug power and hold power button for 45s which worked and everything works as normal upon plugging back in. The boot page displayed "keyboard error" upon the first boot after plugging in and everything works as normal now.

I have two monitors via both DP/HDMI and about 6 USB peripherals. Upon idling the monitors would occasionally disconnect and reconnect themselves (discord kept saying new device detected) but that never happens when im at the computer or using it.

I have 1-2 more days on my exchange/return period and I was wondering if there could be a issue with it that warrants exchanging, and a general explanation of why/how this could happen would be great. is there a possibility for a major defect?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Fdkl
    Fdkl Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options

Update: The issue has come back and essentially every time I open a game of some sort the screen will freeze/otherwise glitch, turn off, then the peripherals will turn off, the fans will keep running. The only way to fix this is the aforementioned unplug 45s power hold. Could this mean a faulty graphics card? I tried updating/reinstalling the graphics driver.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,049 Trailblazer
    Options

It could easily be a faulty GPU or a bad power supply. Go ahead with an exchange if you are soon enough, else contact Acer and start the repair process. The long press of the power button forces a full power cycle as well as bleeding residual power off the MB, so it tends to look more like a power issue, but if there's something wrong with the GPU that makes it draw more power than it's rated for you would see the same symptoms.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.