BIOS M2631 - Isn't it possible to reduce the speed of low spinning fans?

Arzak77
Arzak77 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Hallo,
I bought a Veriton M2631 and connected a Scythe SU1225FD12L-CDP fan (300-800 rpm) for the cooler because I want a very silent PC.
But it runs with 800 rpm no matter if fan-control is enabled or disabled in the BIOS.
(Don't laugh, but it is too loud for me!)
Another fan I tried ran with 5000 rpm without, and with 800 rpm with fan-control enabled.
Does it mean that the BIOS determines the revolutions instead of the voltage to control the speed of the fan?
Is it therefore useless to use low speed fans?
Would it be possible for a programmer to change the value in the BIOS-code?
I don't know if there is another solution beside using low-noise-adaptors, but I am still hoping...
Thank you very much!

Alexander

(I posted this questions a few minutes ago, but I deleted it somehow. If my former text appears again: sorry!)

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Speccy is an utility to monitor fan speed and temperatures. I don't think that you can adjust it.

I read that that is a 3 pin fan. You need 4 pins to make it a Smart Fan

• Larryodie

Be careful with your temperatures, don't let it get too hot in there. You can monitor with Speccy or any app to see what it does with heavy load. Monitor the usage with Task Manager

Generally, anything between 40–65°C (or 104–149°F) is considered a safe heat range for a normal workload. While running more intensive apps or games, the normal CPU temp range can increase to between 70–80°C (158–176°F).Jul 3, 2023

• Arzak77

Tinkerer

What a pity. Unfortunately it is a 4-Pin-fan, so I expected it to work like I want it.

My dream is a tuned BIOS for my needs….

Thank you!

• Larryodie

Does it make noise when turned manually (with power unplugged) ?

• Arzak77

Tinkerer

The fan? Connected to an USB-Cable it is unhearable because of the low voltage.

The cooler is a Brocken Eco advanced with 2 of the fans mentioned above. With 800 rpm the temperature of the i5 4590 stays below 50 °C in Counter Strike 2. I tested it with HWINFO.

• Larryodie

I don't understand hooking to an USB Cable ?

Move away from the computer or move the computer or wear ear plugs but don't mess with the speed as you'll fry it.

Good Luck

• Arzak77

Tinkerer

Don't Panic! I hooked it to an USB-Cable just for testing reasons! Outside of the PC!

Cheers,

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer

If at 800rpm the fan noise bothers you, then there is nothing that won't as my laptops 2x fans are running at twice that fast 1700rpm and 2000rpm and I cant hear them. Try SpeedFan software and read this guide here "How to Auto-Control Your PC's Fans for Cool, Quiet Operation"

• Arzak77

Tinkerer

I tried SpeedFan a minute ago but the fans do not appear in the program, it seems that they cannot be detected? You are right, the smaller the fans, the less noise they make at the same rpm.

• Larryodie

Try Speccy to see your temp & speed real time.

Run Pandora or buy you a radio to over shadow the noise.

DO NOT block any vents trying to drown it out.

Get cordless mouse and keyboard and long HDMI display cable and move the beast in the next room.

You can test on an car 12 V system, if it has a cigarette lighter, makes it easy.