Replacing the power supply on the PO3-640-EB12 model

Options
Shewy
Shewy Member Posts: 1 New User

I recently picked up this orion model and im worried about the power supply being under spec, I also plan on upgrading in the future and think its best to upgrade the psu rather soon. Anyone have an suggestions or tips?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,988 Trailblazer
    Options

The PO3-640 PSU is an Acer proprietary 500W ATX_12V1~2 single rail to two 4pin type PSU, if you want to upgrade then you need to find out that the new PSU can be run on these plugs with an adaptor to the new PSUs 20+4pins-pin or 24-pin plug PSU, it doesn't matter if the new PSU is a Double Rail.

This is the PO3-640 mainboard twin 4pin ATX plugs and the ATX 6-pin plugs details that supply power to the mainboard:

PO3-640 Acer PSUs

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, 500W is as large as they go with the new ATX12VO power supplies. You can fudge that higher with an old school ATX supply and a lot of creative rewiring, but you really want to wait for your warranty to run out before getting into that type of hack. The PO5 or PO7 models would have been a better choice to start from instead of the PO3, just because they support larger supplies easily.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.