Predator orion 3000 PO3-600 CPU ugrade - what i could upgrade to.?

Options
Icarus_Bane
Icarus_Bane Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in Predator Desktops

I currently have an i5-9400 CPU and its topping 100% on some games, was wondering what i could upgrade to.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,064 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

What is the full specs of your desktop, like your gpu and ram, as the cpu is not the only factor for bottlenecks and/or that affects your gaming and the factor that maxes out your cpu in gaming. A cpu upgrade would not do much to your desktop, you can upgrade to the 8 core/16 threads i9-9900 cpu or the i9-9900K but these cpu's will run much hotter and you will need a better cpu cooler and case cooling, but it will still not improve performance over your oem i5-9400 cpu by much and it will be like max 10% but your desktop will still be bottlenecking with gpu to cpu performance.

Increasing the ram to this desktops max ram which is up to 16GB per DIMM slot at max total of up to 64 GB into this desktops 4x DIMM slots at 16GB DDR4-2666MHz, this will improve performance greatly, run the boot drive/gaming drive on the M.2 SSD PCIe 3x2 that this desktop can run, like the a WD SN530 or WD SN550 which these mid-range drives have a read/write of 2000MB/s max, then with this desktops oem 500W PSU which Acer fits oem gpu's like either a Geforce GTX 1060-6GB or Geforce GTX 1070-8GB, upgrade the gpu to a GTX1660Ti-6GB that requires a 450W PSU which the oem PSU will be adequate, as all these updates will improve your desktops performance by at least 100% to what you have now and if you have most of these components like the gpu ten th ram and even a cpu will be at a minimum cost.

Answers

• Icarus_Bane
    Icarus_Bane Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I know the computers out of date but i can't afford a new setup so my only option is to upgrade.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,064 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

What is the full specs of your desktop, like your gpu and ram, as the cpu is not the only factor for bottlenecks and/or that affects your gaming and the factor that maxes out your cpu in gaming. A cpu upgrade would not do much to your desktop, you can upgrade to the 8 core/16 threads i9-9900 cpu or the i9-9900K but these cpu's will run much hotter and you will need a better cpu cooler and case cooling, but it will still not improve performance over your oem i5-9400 cpu by much and it will be like max 10% but your desktop will still be bottlenecking with gpu to cpu performance.

Increasing the ram to this desktops max ram which is up to 16GB per DIMM slot at max total of up to 64 GB into this desktops 4x DIMM slots at 16GB DDR4-2666MHz, this will improve performance greatly, run the boot drive/gaming drive on the M.2 SSD PCIe 3x2 that this desktop can run, like the a WD SN530 or WD SN550 which these mid-range drives have a read/write of 2000MB/s max, then with this desktops oem 500W PSU which Acer fits oem gpu's like either a Geforce GTX 1060-6GB or Geforce GTX 1070-8GB, upgrade the gpu to a GTX1660Ti-6GB that requires a 450W PSU which the oem PSU will be adequate, as all these updates will improve your desktops performance by at least 100% to what you have now and if you have most of these components like the gpu ten th ram and even a cpu will be at a minimum cost.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,941 Trailblazer
    Options

As Steven suggests, a CPU upgrade isn't likely to make much difference, except in some narrow uses. The highest CPU your system supports without other work is the i7-9700 or i9-9900. Don't even think of any of the K models, they would require a lot more cooling and the overclocking they could provide isn't supported in the BIOS. Look first at what drive you have, if it's a HDD plan on going SSD first, if it's a SATA SSD then upgrading to a NVMe x4 gen3 is the best next step. If you already have an NVMe x4 SSD then the next thing to look at is memory. Your system supports either 2400 or 2666 memory. You want it all to be 2666MHz with no XMP support. You also likely want at least 16GB and better is 32GB. Your maximum is 64GB. If you put memory in that is designed for XMP it will most likely run at a base speed of 2133 and that will give a fairly significant slowdown. Finally would be a GPU upgrade, but you indicate your throttling seems to be due to 100% CPU usage, which points at drive and memory issues, not GPU.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.