My Nitro AN517-42 keeps restarting

Options
R_Rountree
R_Rountree Member Posts: 3 New User

My Nitro 5 has been restarting at random intervals the past month or so. The problem does not happen when I boot my computer into safe mode. This leads me to believe that it is an issue with the drivers. I have been experiencing problems with the network driver especially and similar problems have been reported by others with the same Wi-Fi card (MediaTek Wi-Fi 6E RZ616). I have tried over a dozen different versions of the network driver with no results.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,861 Trailblazer
    Options

To check if the problem is the WIFI adapter or GPU, configure a Safe Boot (with MSconfig.exe), full boot but with Base Video (2nd column Boot tab MSconfig) and click Apply. reboot and if that causes a restart the problem is with your WIFI adapter/drivers. If this Safe boot does not cause a restart you have to uninstall the display drivers in Safe Mode with DDU but remove the Base Video setting in MSconfig first and click on normal boot and Apply. Then uninstall the GPU drives with DDU: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000091878/graphics.html

Make sure internet is working and reboot, Windows will install the drivers.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,064 Trailblazer
    edited August 2023
    Options

Another alternative is to change the oem Media Tek MTRZ616 Wi-Fi 6E 2x2 - 160MHz Wi-Fi/BT card to the Intel® Killer™ Wi-Fi 6E AX1690, which is the as the oem MTK MTRZ616 Wi-Fi 6E with the same Wi-Fi CERTIFIED* 802.11ax but has a newer Bluetooth version 5.3 as the MTK MTRZ616 has Bluetooth 5.2 and has the same mainboard interface of the M.2 2230 and it will fit into your laptop wireless slot, also you can get drivers for Win-11 from Intel that will work with the Nitro AN517-42 laptop, this card is a good alternative as the Intel AX1690 is a better card and quicker as it has a ~3.0 Gbps max speed and the TX/RX Streams is the 2x2 (Intel® Double Connect Technology) and its also a new tech card that was released in Q4 2021.

• R_Rountree
    Options

My laptop does not have an intel processor. It has an AMD Ryzen 7 6800.

• R_Rountree
    Options

I have booted into safe mode with base video and networking. This has shown to be stable in the hours since I have started it. What graphics drivers do I need to install?

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,861 Trailblazer
    edited August 2023
    Options

All of them, integrated and dedicated GPU drivers and consoles, DDU handles Intel, NVIDIA and AMD drivers as well as Realtek Audio drivers if you have audio issues. If you have been downloading/installing a lot of 3rd party display drivers, consider some "house cleaning" with RAPR (Driver Store Explorer) to delete duplicates and rogue (display) drivers, it will delete all orphan and incompatible drivers not detected with Device manager in Safe Mode: Select the "Old Drivers" button (recommended). Don't reinstall the display drivers, make sure Internet is working and just reboot. When in doubt what to delete in RAPR, post a screen copy before deleting and we will advise what drivers should probably not be deleted.

• Rojoajax
    Rojoajax Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Same happening to mine, its a poorly built system, Motherboard is probably failing, something to do with the Solders. Its scrap, only solution is to find better products with a different Manufacturer in the future