Aspire XC-1760 Wifi Died No device in the Device Manager, nothing.

hppyfngy
hppyfngy Member Posts: 4 New User

I have an XC-1760 and it's been fine for the 6 months I've had it, but the other day I suddenly had no wifi. No device in the Device Manager, nothing.

I am using a usb wifi dongle now, but wondered, if there is a card that has died, a driver I have to update, or is this just a chip on the motherboard that has failed?

Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
Device ID B96A6C43-E6FB-4199-8E8C-F1E1917FF42B
Product ID 00342-22014-06839-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,070 Pathfinder

@hppyfngy if the Wifi card shows as a hidden device in the device manager, that card might be loose or failed. The first thing is to enable showing hidden devices, uninstall the Wifi card driver, and reboot. If it still doesn't show up, open the case, navigate the Wifi card, take it off after unscrewing, clean the pins, and then put it back.

If you have tried the above steps and didn't work, contact Acer if the PC still has the warranty or replace the different Wifi card.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • hppyfngy

@AnhEZ28, indeed the Intel Wi-Fi 6 adapter was showing in hidden devices so I cracked the case, but I did not find a physical card, so I assume it's integrated on the mobo.

After that, I had a look at the BIOS, but did not see anything in there to help, so exited and rebooted without changing it.

And now, the built in wireless device is showing, and it works.

I didn't actually do anything, but it works now, so good enough for today.

Thanks for your thoughts. 👍️

• AnhEZ28

@hppyfngy it is good to hear that

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • hppyfngy

@AnhEZ28 I spoke too soon. This morning the onboard wifi device was dead again. I then uninstalled it from the Device Manager and rebooted, but it wasn't found and wasn't installed.

So I am back to my wifi dongle, and as the Intel adapter was surely a component on the motherboard, I will live with it the way it is, rather than bother with a warranty repair.

Oh well! Thanks for your help.

• AnhEZ28

@hppyfngy it should be underneath the HDD caddy

• hppyfngy

@AnhEZ28 you know, I saw that and wondered if it was the wifi adapter, but I didn't try to pull it.

Is it proprietary and only available from Acer?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

No, it's a standard M.2 WLAN slot with PCIe and USB on the slot. Any M.2 WLAN card will work, as long as it's not the proprietary CNVio2 type used on some of the latest Intel designs. I'd suggest an AX200 card… That will give you WiFi 6.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.