Aspire TC-895 BIOS/UEFI ? There's no choice, Is that normal?

sgtrko
sgtrko Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

If I go into my BIOS I only have UEFI. There's no choice. Is that ok? Also if I go to Boot Options in the BIOS My Hard Disk is Not shown as an option. I have to choose Windows Boot Manager and the machine boots fine. Is that normal?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,818 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Windows boot manager is the standard way to boot with a Windows PC. If your MOBO does not support Legacy all you will see in BIOS is UEFI, if your boot drive has been formatted as GPT all you see in BIOS is UEFI, that is all normal.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Yes, UEFI has been the default since just before Windows 8 was released back in 2012… Most modern computers don't support the old boot methods, since they were so prone to getting root kits.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • sgtrko

Tinkerer

Thank You!

• sgtrko

Tinkerer

No. That's ok. Just wondered if seeing (or not seeing) my specific hard drive name was ok. I do have another question I can's find a definitive answer for. If I re format my hard drive can I reinstall Windows that came with my machine?

Thanks, Randy

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

If you do a full format on the drive, the hidden partition with the original factory image will be wiped off. At that point you can do a vanilla Windows install, but not one with the Acer specific utilities.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.