Acer Aspire 7 A715-42G random restarts, mostly happens when I'm using a browser.

Options
McMc16
McMc16 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 12 in Aspire Laptops

I have an Acer Aspire 7 A715-42G and I'm experiencing random restarts.

It mostly happens when I'm using a browser.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,893 Trailblazer
    edited August 2023
    Options

Unstable system, rogue driver(s) or corrupted system files. this is an AMD Ryzen 7 CPU so RAM and GeForce RTX 3050Ti dGPU drivers should be checked too. As you have Windows11 make Edge your default browser, check that your Windows11 version is 22H2 Build 22621.2070, if not check for updates. In Task Manager Performance tab check what memory is used with the 8GB RAM, should not be more than 4.5GB. if much more you have too many background programs running, uninstall some apps, bloatware (incl. Startup apps) till you see RAM in use <5GB or upgrade your RAM.

Open Device Manager and check for yellow exclamation marks and Unknown Devices (also check Hidden devices), uninstall all those. Check in Event Viewer what causes a crash also check Reliability History Problem Reports why restarts happened. If you don't see any errors related to these restarts or GPU issues; Spontaneous reboots, without a BSOD, are often PSU related (unstable and/or undervolting of some sort). Check this forum how to reset CMOS/BIOS and perform a Power Drain. Check the condition of the battery.

Boot in Safe Mode (Shift + Restart) in Windows and observe for an hour or so if that is stable (no restarts), if OK that would be an indication that the dGPU driver needs to be reinstalled. Check this forum how to uninstall display drivers with DDU in Safe Mode.

Finally, restore the system image paste this line in Elevated Command Prompt: Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    This should end with "Completed successfully" rerun the command till you see this. Then type this in the same Command Prompt window:
    SFC /scannow
    This should end with "Found no integrity violations" rerun till you see that.

• Simsimyeye123
    Simsimyeye123 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi, I have had the exact, and i mean the exact same problem as you. I thought it was my fault and that I had unknowingly downloaded some dangerous software. So I reinstalled windows, but boy was it a hasle configuring everything agian. Thankfully it has worked for me.

• boomshow
    boomshow Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I have had the exact same problem for a couple years since I have bought the laptop. I use it for work as a web/application developer. I reinstalled windows 11 a few days ago and it happened again.

• eGomes
    eGomes Member Posts: 3,006 Guru
    Options

Hi @boonshow,

Download it and keep it running HWMonitor for a few minutes. Then attach here a screenshot with the result of reading all sensors.

Please, compact and attach here (if available) all *.DMP files located in folder bellow:

C:\windows\memory.dmp (if exist)
    C:\Windows\Minidump   (folder)

Press the Win + R keys (Run), type: dxdiag <press Enter>, wait for the tool to complete the initial check (green indicator bar), then click the "Save info..." button and then attach the DxDiag.txt file here, using the "Upload file" button (see clips icon just below).

• StevenGen
    Options

If you have any USB hubs or anything plugged into the laptop ports then unplug them all and boot the laptop without anything plugged into its ports, as that was the cause of my laptop rebooting because of an old tablet cooler that had a 4x USB hub that was shortening the laptop and out and making the laptop reboot. Look at this factor or it could be an internal primary power phase that is faulty, so have the laptop checked out by a technitian and repaired.

• DGJM
    DGJM Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

my cousin's laptop (not an acer) had similar random reboots when playing a game or just borwsing the web

we troubleshoot it and figured out when the CPU (also amd ryzen) boost. the system has a chance on crashing. so we disabled the boost and his system became stabel again…

so you could try disabling boost if that helps

• stygian4
    stygian4 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I have similar problem and I dunno how to fix it. Same model of aspire 7. Please help.

• VovaVovchyk
    VovaVovchyk Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options

Decision! I have an Acer Aspire A715-42G. The laptop randomly restarted almost every day or stuttered, I tried updating all the drivers, even reinstalling Windows, nothing helped. To solve this problem you need to go to BIOS>Security>Set supervisor password to access all functions in this section>Change TPM(TCM) state-must be Disabled!!! It is surprising that Acer representatives did not offer such a solution.🤗

• eGomes
    Options

Glad you were able to solve your problem, @VovaVovchyk!

Unfortunately, some Acer laptop models equipped with AMD Ryzen processors suffer from this issue due to the lack of AGESA and SMU microcode updates.

Although the version implemented on the Aspire 7 A715-42G (BIOS 1.10), is one of the least worst:

• VovaVovchyk

Tinkerer

Options

So when acer will upload new bios to fix it? Or people should rollback to previous bios? Weird world when people pay money to be a beta-tester, my next laptop will with intel for sure.

• eGomes
    edited February 1
    Options

Not to mention the vulnerabilities issues (already fixed by AMD a long time ago...) that we users are exposed to:

The current AGESA version for AMD Ryzen™ 5000 Series Mobile Processors (codename Cezanne) is CezannePI-FP6 1.0.0.Fa (released in 2023-08-22).

• VovaVovchyk

Tinkerer

edited February 2
    Options

Ok, after 7 days of perfect work it happened again. I watched YouTube and the laptop froze (Kernal-power 41-63), I have the latest bios 1.10 installed, all drivers are updated, Windows is fresh. FTPM doest not help(

• eGomes
    Options

This is a "classic" symptom, which may be caused by the Acer Care Center (ACC). If you have this app installed, remove it!

• VovaVovchyk

Tinkerer

Options

No, it is not installed and and i tried all forum and youtube advise. Keep praying for new BIOS.

• nescafe
    nescafe Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I've had the same problem with my A715-42G. Random reboots with no particular system activity (system idle, no active applications, or light browsing activity).

The previous system shutdown at […] on […] was unexpected.

What I've tried so far:

• Reinstalling Windows several times
    • Upgrading memory from 16 GB to 32 GB
    • Upgrading SSD to 1 TB

No result.

I've submitted the system for warranty repair

First warranty repair:

• Replacement of SSD (no fix)

Second warranty repair (for every repair, I've attached the "Unexpected system shutdown" event log printouts):

• Replacement of main system board

The system has been running for a month without reboot. But it makes sense (since all other system components has been replaced) that it's the main system board.

Note that I noticed a small change:

The crashing laptop had the following main board product name, before replacement:

C:\>wmic baseboard get product, version
    Product Version
    Azalea_CAS V1.10

After replacement:

C:\>wmic baseboard get product
    Product Version
    Scala_CAS V1.10

• Chev12
    Chev12 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options

@VovaVovchyk are you still facing problem?

• VovaVovchyk

Tinkerer

Options

To my surprise laptop work perfect after last crush 02.02.24 (this day i installed some new windows update, maybe that caused crush) ftpm is turned off.

• VovaVovchyk

Tinkerer

Options

Nope, after 20 days it happens again. They did not fix that🤦‍♀️

• Pkoa00
    Pkoa00 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi @VovaVovchyk did you solved the problem?

I'm the same and I tried every guides that I find on the web.

The problem is that the pc very often restarts and I can't use it.

If you have a solution please tell me!

Thank you.

• JordiMarti
    JordiMarti Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Looking for an updated AGESA version for my Acer Aspire 5 A515-45, I've found this thread. Now that AMD has finally published an updated version that solves Zenbleed for my processor (CezannePI-FP6
    1.0.1.0) as announced here:

https://www.amd.com/en/resources/product-security/bulletin/amd-sb-7008.html

It seems clear that Acer has no interest in publishing updated BIOS and solving vulnerabilities for their HW. It is also clear to me this is the last time I buy any laptop or computer from Acer.

I'll try to seek to learn how to bios-mod the latest update provided from ACER, and shoehord up-to-date AGESA modules into it, which may or may not be possible.

If anyone has further news, please update this thread.