How to perform Battery Calibration from the Acer Care Center in Predator Helios Neo 16

Danfil
Danfil Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited July 13 in Predator Laptops

Hi!

Since I was worried about battery calibration and couldn't find a guide of how to do it, I will tell you how you can do it and what happens when it's done below-

NOTE:- Never unplug your charger after you starting calibration until the whole process is completed even while discharging. (Seems counter intuitive but the acer care center discharges the battery when the charger is plugged in during calibration only. )

1. Connect your charger, start battery calibration and charge your laptop to 100%.

2. After getting to a 100% the battery will start discharging on it's own while the charger is connected. Sometimes it might take a while for the battery to start discharging even though the indicator on the screen is showing 100% because the battery is not calibrated and is not actually fully charged so you have to wait.

3. The laptop will discharge to around 3% and then start to charge again.

4. After it charges fully again, you will get a message on the care centre saying that the battery calibration was "Last checked: DD/MM/YYYY". Which tells you that your battery was calibrated.

Conclusion: I hope this helps you. I have completed the calibration just a few minutes before typing this comment so I cannot tell you if it's worth the hassle as of now. It is obviously not showing the absolute correct remaining time after calibrating but I just did it for my peace of mind and to get this done with.

P.S.- I have a Predator Helios Neo 16 and during step 2, the on-screen display of the laptop showed that the charger was connected. However, the light which indicates that the laptop's charger is connected turned off which confirmed that the laptop had started to run on battery power even though the charger was connected. The steps may be straightforward for many, but I was looking for something like this before calibrating the battery but since I could not see it, I have posted it myself. Hope this helps!

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Best Answer

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,195 Trailblazer
    edited July 13 Answer ✓

You can safely ignore posts on this and other laptop user forums about "calibration" and "optimization" of batteries for a new laptop with a Li-Ion battery. I know what I am talking about with 55 years' experience researching and observing charging/performance of all sorts of batteries including NiMH, LAB, NiCd etc. in the field (as a geologist) and in offices as a computer room supervisor for a major oil company. A Full Charge-Discharge Cycle to initialize the battery monitoring system. dubbed here as "Calibration" is mandatory in major laptop factories like Acer and only requires to be done again when you suspect a retailer reinstalled a battery (box not factory sealed) or you replaced an old battery and/or reinstalled the factory installed OS (incl. laptops with "Free DOS"). New high-quality batteries (recommended) from reputable vendors have flyers in sealed boxes that stipulate this Full Charge-Discharge Cycle before using a laptop but is often ignored.
    There are many variations, but I recommend this method for a Windows10-11 laptop: Uninstall Hibernate and Fast Startup, reset the Power Plan to factory default in "Edit Power Plan" and completely shut down the system the proper way with the Start-Power icon on the Taskbar. Close the lid disconnect all peripherals and plug in the original power adapter that came with the laptop or a USB-C charger that must be a proper laptop charger with 100+Watt capacity and have a 10 Amp, thick, fixed USB-C cord, capable of fast-charging a large gaming laptop battery in 40 minutes from, 5-100% charge. Charge without opening the lid till the amber battery LED turns blue and wait an extra 10 minutes. Open the lid and boot to Windows and verify that the battery meter on the taskbar indicates 100%. Unplug the adapter/charger and work normally all day till the system turns off on its own, don't press the power button, don't suspend the system but close the lid. Repeat the charging with the adapter/charger till the amber battery LED turns blue and wait an extra 10 minutes. That's it.

Answers

• Puraw

Please forget about ACC Battery Calibration and any other Battery Monitors bloatware. Li-Ion batteries don't have the Memory effect of the old Ni-Cad batteries and also have a SMART chip that diverts power to PSU after the battery is charged 100% so you leave the adapter plugged-in 24/7 without issues. After installing a new battery you have to charge 100% till the amber charge LED turns blue, wait a few minutes and unplug. Use the laptop till it turns off (hibernate mode) and plug-in the adapter, don't boot but let the battery charge to 100%, wait a few minutes and boot. This is called a "Full Charge Cycle" required by BIOS and MS ACPI battery control drivers in order for Windows to register your battery capacity, a 1-time procedure only. Without that procedure all Windows battery stats are unreliable.

• Kkatz
    Kkatz Member Posts: 1 New User

As I failed to perform first initial charge cycle, may I now reset battery (by pressing pin reset) and then follow your instructions for full cycle charge? (Aspire A315)

Thanks, and hope it's OK to tack my question on to this post. After 3 hours searching, then reading several of your posts, this seemed a good place to insert my question. If need be, I can erase this question and create new post.

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,967 Pathfinder
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Puraw
    edited July 13 Answer ✓

You can safely ignore posts on this and other laptop user forums about "calibration" and "optimization" of batteries for a new laptop with a Li-Ion battery. I know what I am talking about with 55 years' experience researching and observing charging/performance of all sorts of batteries including NiMH, LAB, NiCd etc. in the field (as a geologist) and in offices as a computer room supervisor for a major oil company. A Full Charge-Discharge Cycle to initialize the battery monitoring system. dubbed here as "Calibration" is mandatory in major laptop factories like Acer and only requires to be done again when you suspect a retailer reinstalled a battery (box not factory sealed) or you replaced an old battery and/or reinstalled the factory installed OS (incl. laptops with "Free DOS"). New high-quality batteries (recommended) from reputable vendors have flyers in sealed boxes that stipulate this Full Charge-Discharge Cycle before using a laptop but is often ignored.
    There are many variations, but I recommend this method for a Windows10-11 laptop: Uninstall Hibernate and Fast Startup, reset the Power Plan to factory default in "Edit Power Plan" and completely shut down the system the proper way with the Start-Power icon on the Taskbar. Close the lid disconnect all peripherals and plug in the original power adapter that came with the laptop or a USB-C charger that must be a proper laptop charger with 100+Watt capacity and have a 10 Amp, thick, fixed USB-C cord, capable of fast-charging a large gaming laptop battery in 40 minutes from, 5-100% charge. Charge without opening the lid till the amber battery LED turns blue and wait an extra 10 minutes. Open the lid and boot to Windows and verify that the battery meter on the taskbar indicates 100%. Unplug the adapter/charger and work normally all day till the system turns off on its own, don't press the power button, don't suspend the system but close the lid. Repeat the charging with the adapter/charger till the amber battery LED turns blue and wait an extra 10 minutes. That's it.