How to perform Battery Calibration from the Acer Care Center.

Options
Danfil
Danfil Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited July 2023 in Predator Den

Hi!

Since I was worried about battery calibration and couldn't find a guide of how to do it, I will tell you how you can do it and what happens when it's done below-

NOTE:- Never unplug your charger after you starting calibration until the whole process is completed even while discharging. (Seems counter intuitive but the acer care center discharges the battery when the charger is plugged in during calibration only. )

1. Connect your charger, start battery calibration and charge your laptop to 100%.

2. After getting to a 100% the battery will start discharging on it's own while the charger is connected. Sometimes it might take a while for the battery to start discharging even though the indicator on the screen is showing 100% because the battery is not calibrated and is not actually fully charged so you have to wait.

3. The laptop will discharge to around 3% and then start to charge again.

4. After it charges fully again, you will get a message on the care centre saying that the battery calibration was "Last checked: DD/MM/YYYY". Which tells you that your battery was calibrated.

Conclusion: I hope this helps you. I have completed the calibration just a few minutes before typing this comment so I can not tell you if it's worth the hassle as of now. It is obviously not showing the absolute correct remaining time after calibrating but I just did it for my peace of mind and to get this done with.

P.S.- I have a Predator Helios Neo 16 and during step 2, the on screen display of the laptop showed that the charger was connected. However, the light which indicates that the laptop's charger is connected turned off which confirmed that the laptop had started to run on battery power even though the charger was connected. The steps may be straightforward for many but I was looking for something like this before calibrating the battery but since I coud not see it, I have posted it myself.

Hope this helps!

Comments

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,521 Trailblazer
    Options

Please forget about ACC Battery Calibration and any other Battery Monitors bloatware. Li-Ion batteries don't have the Memory effect of the old Ni-Cad batteries and also have a SMART chip that diverts power to PSU after the battery is charged 100% so you leave the adapter plugged-in 24/7 without issues. After installing a new battery you have to charge 100% till the amber charge LED turns blue, wait a few minutes and unplug. Use the laptop till it turns off (hibernate mode) and plug-in the adapter, don't boot but let the battery charge to 100%, wait a few minutes and boot. This is called a "Full Charge Cycle" required by BIOS and MS ACPI battery control drivers in order for Windows to register your battery capacity, a 1-time procedure only. Without that procedure all Windows battery stats are unreliable.