Acer Spin 3 N20w1 One of the two USB C charging ports is failing.

cacheirofrias
cacheirofrias Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in Swift and Spin Series

I have an Acer Spin 3 N20w1 and after a few months a USB C charging port stopped working. Is it possible to charge from the USB port?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Hello! Is your model SP313-51N? If this is the model, there is only one dc in jack.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,829 Trailblazer

You can charge the laptop (also known as power delivery) only if the port has a thunderbolt symbol. You can charge an attached device only if the port has the trident charging symbol.

Jack E/NJ

• aa11
    aa11 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

i had a similar problem. I think sometimes the port can become damaged from use.. like torquing the port. Maybe Acer sells the port as a replacement and you cna open up the laptop and unplug the one you have and plug in the new one and then close up the laptop? it is also possible, after looking at the tear down of an acer spin 5 video that the usbc are soldered directly to the mother board and maybe one or more of the connectors on the usbc port didn't have a strong solder and broke their connection and need to be resoldered? (see acer spin 5 tear down

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,698 Trailblazer

I also believe that is one of the SP313-51N models, but we don't have access to any sort of a cross reference and they seem to have reused those model numbers in different series over the years. If that is you actual model then the TBT port does support charging the laptop:

Note that you need a charger that supports 65W or higher at 20V for it to work correctly. The DC-In connector that the standard power supply uses is soldered to the motherboard, so not an easy replacement.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • adk818
    adk818 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I received my Acer Spin 3 on May 2022, and everything seemed to be working smoothly. By January 2023, the unit randomly stopped charging via the provided USB-C adapter. Even when the adapter is connected, the indicator light fail to show and the laptop does not charge. As the laptop was still under warranty, I sent it in for repair. The laptop worked fine until October 2023, when the SAME issue recurred AGAIN. I reached out to customer service and escalated to Nicholas at Acer Support Level 2 stating that their repair within the warranty period did not work and the laptop is broken within a year of the last fix. They demanded a payment of $650 to fix the computer again, despite the fact that their initial repair had failed to rectify the problem. Acer refuses to acknowledge implied warranty rights that protects consumers from recurring defects, even beyond initial warranty period. To fix the issue last time, they replaced the motherboard, battery, and USB C Pin. This is clearly a manufacturer defect and this computer should be recalled!
    To add to this, my friend has the exact same model and the exact same thing happened to her too. What are the odds of 4 identical failures across 2 laptops within 24 months?!? I'm staying away from Acer for my future computer purchase.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,698 Trailblazer

Typically that symptom is seen when the USB-C port or plug gets slightly stressed, so it doesn't make as good of contact as it did when new. I find that giving the plug a half twist to put a little torque on the connector seems to clear it up.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • adk818
    adk818 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited May 14

It's definitely not the adapter. I have tried multiple power adapters and none work after the issue arose. I rarely remove the laptop from the adapter as I don't use it that often. This is a systemic Acer issue.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,829 Trailblazer

Take it to a local laptop repair shop for a professional evaluation & repair estimate.

Jack E/NJ