Predator Orion PO5-640 Boot Issue Help: 1 Short Beep, RAM change yesterday was working fine

Options
Fdkl
Fdkl Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Hello all,

I recently purchased the orion 5000 po5-640. I have set it up yesterday and replaced the ram with 2x 16gb 4800mhz ddr5 from crucial with no issues after several hours of use.

Overnight, I have left the dekstop to shut down after windows updates.

After waking up today, I went to boot up the computer. The predator sign will show up on boot followed by a single short beep from the pc, and then the computer enters automatic repair mode and will not boot. This short beep happens every time the computer tries to restart and boot.

I have tried going back to the default RAM and uninstalling the the latest windows update and the issue persists. The BIOS seems to recognize all hardware just fine including the hard drives and the RAM sticks.

Is there a way to fix this or should I just look to get it returned/exchanged?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,064 Trailblazer
    edited July 2023
    Options

The reason for your error and beep problem is the ram. You need to update the bios to the last bios Version R01-B0 dated 2023/07/04, as the DDR5-4800MHz type ram doesn't work without this bios update, yes it might have worked but after the Win-11 update and reboot the OS and the PC doesn't work as the bios is not compliant to the new ram and that is you problem. If you don't know how to flash the bios get someone that knows how to do this as you can brick your desktop and then the warranty will be voided, so be very careful!

The beep problems should not be happening if you reinstalled the oem ram that the PO5-640 desktop came with. Reinstall the oem Acer ram and flash the bios before you use the new 2x 16GB DDR5-4800MHz type ram as after that your desktop should work 100% and perfectly.

Acer categorically states that the PO5-640 works with DDR5-4400Mhz ram (see caption below and look in the PO5-640s eManual also) but Acer has updated the bios for this desktop to work with DDR5-4800MHz type ram.

Also you must populate the ram DIMMs 1 to 4 like below and to have 32GB ram total (2x 16GB) DDR5-4800MHz modules of ram, you need to put the 2x 16GB modules into DIMM slot #1 and slot #2 like below:

PO5-640 Memory Specs and ram DIMMs population

• Fdkl

Tinkerer

edited July 2023
    Options

@StevenGen Thank you for your response.

I have flashed the bios to the new july version with the original RAM sticks. Upon finishing, two beeps occurred followed by a black screen with white text came up which included information about the bios, specs of the machine, and connected devices. At the bottom of the message it says "Setup settings error. CMOS checksum error or CMOS battery loss occurs. Default settings applied."

Then the machine goes back to the one beep into automatic repair upon boot up again, just like before.

I don't really understand why I'm running into these problems when the machine is a day old but kindly advise what to do next.

• Fdkl

Tinkerer

Options

@StevenGen I was getting the beep even with the original RAM sticks.

I have updated the BIOS and double checked the RAM is populated correctly. Upon finishing BIOS update, two beeps occurred with the message "CMOS checksum error or CMOS battery loss occurs, default settings loaded".

The machine then goes back to the one beep into automatic repair on boot just like before.

I'm kinda frustrated as the machine is less than a day old and I'm running into these issues but kindly advise what to do next.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,064 Trailblazer
    edited July 2023
    Options

Two beeps after a BIOS update can indicate a memory error. You can try to reset the CMOS by shorting pins or taking the battery out and leaving it for half an hour. If that doesn’t work, you can try booting with a single memory module. If none of these work, it could be that the BIOS update has caused a problem or you have flashed the bios wrongly.

CMOS reset:

Did you follow this when you updated the bios:

If you can't fix the beeping fault with all the steps above, then send the PO5-640 desktop back to Acer Support by going to the Support page of Acer in your country then Repair my Acer > you should get this page screen

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,941 Trailblazer
    Options

One short beep at the end of POST is an indication that POST completed successfully and the system is starting to load the OS. It is perfectly normal and should happen if things are working as they should. Your issue is with the Windows load, as is evidenced by the automatic repair mode. We need to dive into why Windows is having an issue loading instead of looking at thins like the hardware or the BIOS.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.