Aspire A515-56G: ACCSTD.EXE (Acer Care Centre) stopped working

forestsongs
forestsongs Member Posts: 2 New User

By coincidence, I noticed that my battery is now being charged to 100%, even if I have previously set it to stop charging at 80%. Upon closer inspection, I found that Acer Care Centre has completely stopped working and is even impossible to execute. When trying to execute the program, this happens:

1. A Windows message pops up, asking if I will allow the program to make changes on my device. I respond yes.

2. Nothing happens, however, I now observe ACCSTD.EXE residing as a background process in my task list.

If I abort it in the task list and try again, the same thing happens again. If I try to execute it without aborting it in my task list, the Windows message (1.) does not even pop up. Either way, nothing happens.

Attempted remedies: I have uninstalled Acer Care Centre from my computer and reinstalled it after downloading it from Acer's site (for my serial #). It did not solve the problem. Also, running the program as Administrator has no effect.

I need to access my settings in Acer Care Centre. So, how do I get it up and running again?

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,529 Pathfinder
    edited July 2023

80% battery limit is not proven to increase lifespan.You don't need acer care centre it is always buggy and unstable. Just uninstall it and download care centre from microsoft store if needed but that lack some features

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • forestsongs
    forestsongs Member Posts: 2 New User

Sorry, but this did not answer my question and your claims are not necessarily universally correct. Besides, I have used ACC for more than just battery charging control. I am sure someone out there (@ Acer?) could have a solution. As ACC is distributed with a lot of Acer computers, it would be in their interest to ensure that the program works as specified, would you not agree?

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,529 Pathfinder
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,686 Trailblazer

Gaming6698 is correct in that limiting the battery charge to 80% or max doesn't do anything very helpful in terms of overall life of the computer, which is part of why Acer has been removing the function from ACC, but that is separate from the issue of ACC not working. The behavior you describe where you start the service and nothing visible happens is normal. You should just have the accstd.exe process running in the background. At that point if you try to open Acer Care Center you should get the GUI. Use Apps in Settings or Programs and Features in Control Panel to remove it again. Make sure you are working from the installer from Acer's support site for your specific model. Delete the Care Center folder from C:\Program Files (x86)\Acer. Reboot and verify ACC isn't running as a service. Now do the install and restart the system. Wait a minute for everything to settle and check to see if the service is running. If it is try launching the app. If it's not take a look in Event Viewer to see if you can find it throwing any errors during startup.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • eGomes
    eGomes Member Posts: 3,867 Guru

Acer Care Center (ACCStd.exe) is the portrait of the bad job done by the incompetent programmers at Acer. As well as the lack of firmware updates with new AGESA versions for laptops equipped with AMD Ryzen processors.

É hora de dizer adeus ao Windows 11! 🤢🤮👎🏻 Linux Zorin e Mint, aí vou eu...🫡🫣

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,244 Trailblazer
    edited July 2023

If you browse this forum with the Acer Care Center topic you will find no positive posts: ACC notoriously hangs in W11 and the updating app interferes with Windows WAU app. When uninstalling ACC it leaves many remnants in Windows registry a sign of poorly written script. This is a problem with all bloatware provided by laptop manufacturers, not just Acer. All options in ACC are available in Windows accept the OEM system restore option so for that reason you may want to hold on to ACC. Regarding battery limiters; the theory of extending LI-Ion battery life by limiting the charge to 40%-80% touted by the bloatware industry and PC magazines is anectodical and has never been tested, if you bought into this hype consider that LI-Ion batteries do not have this so called (and disputed) "Memory Effect" of the old NI-Cad batteries, Modern Li-Ion batteries also have a build-in SMART chip that diverts all adapter power to the PSU after the battery is charged 100%, so it is perfectly safe to leave USB chargers and barrel plug adapters plugged in 24/7. The downside of trying to interfere with BIOS and MS APCI Battery Control protocol is that unreliable statistics will be registered in Windows (Battery meter and ACPI devices) and may cause power/charging issues with your laptop.

Google this topic to learn more about these issues.