Is Acer Aspire TC-390 using fake Chinese Kingston SSDs?

GonzoX450
GonzoX450 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter

Have an Acer TC-390 and 391. Both use a Kingston NVMe RBUSNS8154P3512G M.2 512GB SSD.

Kingston SSD Manager does not recognize this SSD and even their web page will not accept the model number as valid, so I have no way of checking the drive for errors or do a firmware upgrade.

Anyone else run into this?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,825 Trailblazer

Acer recommends these M.2 SSDs for your the TC390 desktop. PCIe NVMe Gen 4.0 (x4) PCIe NVMe Gen 3.0 (x4) are supported.

The Kingston model you mention are for sale on eBay and legitimate.
    https://www.ebay.com/p/12034249864

• GonzoX450
    GonzoX450 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter

I understand that they are for sale. But how does one know they really are legitimate?

If they are legitimate, then why does Kingston's own SSD Management software not work?

The only logical reasons I can think of is that the SSD in question is either too old for their software or the manufacturer is suspect.

Sorry for being such a skeptict but at this stage, I am not surprised at anything from Acer.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

I understand some the RBU models are OEM only from Kingston. They don't do direct support for the OEM models and expect you to get support through the manufacturer of the machine. Are you seeing issues with yours? Any SMART checker can get that info from them and they aren't likely to have a firmware update available.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.