Acer Aspire E15 E5-575G-53VG power button misfunction (needing many trials to start laptop)

Options

Hi!

I have this laptop (Acer Aspire E15 E5-575G-53VG) since 2016 and the problem is that when I want to start it, I need to press the power button many times before it actually starts. It has been doing this for the last few months. Sometimes, I need to press longer and hold the button down in order to make it happen. I tried pressing the battery reset button (back cover) for over 45 sec and it did not change anything. I checked the battery status and it seems fine, also, the screen is fine. Actually, the laptop is working perfectly once started even though it shut down by itself a few times before, but it doesn't seem to be frequent enough to bother me or to be linked with this issue. If I can change a power button switch board, I will try (if it even exists, I made my research but this model does seem to have any) or if any other solution is known, I would be glad to hear about it and find a way to buy what is needed.

I want to make sure I can fix this before it doesn't start anymore. Thank you for your help everyone! :)

Chris

Best Answer

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,889 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

To confirm if your issue is caused by the Power button contacts (HW wear) or something else, assign a different function to the Power Button like Sleep or Hibernate (you have to disable Fast Startup and enable Hibernate first to see Hibernate in Power Plan). Use Hibernate for a while with the Power Button instead of a complete Shutdown with the mouse (Start and Power menu), and if that works, the Power button is OK and you should try the Hard Reset (disconnect the battery and reset CMOS) and Power Drain methods discussed in this forum.

• PowerButtonBroken23
    PowerButtonBroken23 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you so much Puraw! :) My problem is partially solved but I have a way to make it work every time now. Let me explain.

I did try Hibernate first and then a Hard Reset for 10 minutes by disconnecting the battery but none of these worked. However, a power drain method was to disconnect the battery and press on the power button for 20 sec + which I did for 60 sec just in case. This must have removed static in the motherboard because I was able to start the laptop in 1-5 attemps only instead of a 50-100 attemps! but even though I did this, it did not solve the problem completely so I performed a test with my power supply plugged in and it starts every time. So something has to do with my power supply being unplugged… maybe just by plugging it to the laptop, it removes the leftover static completely (sort of a ground) ?

Anyway, I really appreciate your help, thank you so much for responding so fast, what a relief! :D

Chris