Acer TC-1660 Help Factory Reset How do i go about getting a factory reset done?

CTurner662
CTurner662 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi all, my Acer TC-1660 will no longer download and install windows updates (It can still download and install windows defender updates and the like) it will find the update but then fails at 1% or less says it cannot download and install try again…it has got to the stage where i thought i would reset to factory settings and start again but i think i may have somehow deleted the original Acer factory image. I don't seem to have the reset to factory option anymore. I can see the option to Reset and after backing up files i want to keep used the option to remove Everything but it goes only so far before it seems to stop and says it cannot proceed and reverses changes made. I have tried downloading the windows files from Microsoft as an ISO file and it goes through the motions of installing the updated software and looks as though everything is working but right at the very end after completing all bits of the install at the point it says 100% complete this computer will restart shortly it just goes back to a desktop with his operation cannot complete and that's it!? The PC will restart and appears as if nothing happened. How do i go about getting a factory reset done? any ideas.

FYI I had made a system backup when i bought the PC after installing all updates and MS Office had been installed but unfortunately i didn't realise when i made a future System image it over-wrote my first image (Schoolboy error i know) otherwise i would have used this .

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and to add issue detail]

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

If you're in windows then Hold the SHIFT KEY while RESTARTING.

Otherwise boot while tapping ALT F10

Otherwise create a USB and do an F12 to boot it. With boot enabled (enabled in the bios) .

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,828 Trailblazer

I am assuming you have or upgraded to Windows11 and unable to get latest updates. Did you download the Acer's 2022 BIOS for W11 version R01-B0?
    Resetting your PC or Clean install Windows are not the best fixes for Windows updating issues, better to restore your Windows system image with DISM online and then run SFC (system file checker) also run the Windows11 Updating troubleshooter and check Event Viewer what updates failed, install those manually.
    Check this too:

Make sure that you are online and Internet is working, paste this command in the Command Prompt opened as administrator:
    Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    This should complete successfully, otherwise run again. Then paste this command in the same Command Prompt window: SFC /scannow
    This will repair your system files and rerun SFC till you see "Found no integrity violations"

Here are some additional tips you may want to try:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-updating-windows-188c2b0f-10a7-d72f-65b8-32d177eb136c

• CTurner662

Hi and thanks for taking the time to respond, i have checked my Bios and it shows as having the bios version as R01-BO (Date 4/12/2022)

Secure boot is enabled, TPM V2 is installed, my GPU is the standard Intel UHD Graphics 750 which i believe is DirectX 12 Compatible.If i run the DISM /CheckHealth command it says 'The Componant Store cannot be repaired' if i run the DISM command with the /ScanHealth or /RestoreHealth commands it says 'Class not registered'

If i try to run the SFC / Scannow command it says cannot start the repair service see attached for both messages

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Your only option is try my methods. You do have the option to save your data.

I'd run CHKDSK on the hard drive 1st.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,828 Trailblazer

"80040154 Class not registered"
    Unregistered DLL files, probably W11 did not install properly. I recommend you do a in-place upgrade to repair Windows 11 described by FreeBooter in Elevenform:
    https://www.elevenforum.com/t/sfc-and-dism-errors-wont-run-class-not-registered-0x80040154.7439/

• CTurner662

Thanks both for all your help, after trying all avenues to get the updates to work and trying an In place upgrade all with no luck (The in place upgrade didn't work as in it gets to the end 100% and then says failed after the Restarting window displays) i ended up doing a clean install using the downloaded USB media creation tool which worked so am now running windows 11 v22H2 yay! I have now done all updates and installed my copy of MS office 2019 and have run a new system image which i will NOT over write this time. I couldn't spend much longer trying fixes so in the end this is how i have resolved it.