Installing New SSD - Predator P03-630G wanted to upgrade the SSD to a larger one.

Options
Sanderson724
Sanderson724 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited July 2023 in Predator Desktops

Hello, my son has a Predator P03-630G and he wanted to upgrade the SSD to a larger one. I bought him one and he removed the old one and put in the new one on the board. When we boot up we get the screen that says ‘Reboot and Select proper boot device’ screen. When he goes to BIOS the boot order shows: Hard Disc, DVD, Removable Device, I can also see the SSD under storage. What are we missing? He is 10 and still learning and I am very limited in my knowledge. Thanks in advance !

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and to add issue detail]

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,157 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi,

Have you cloned the old drive to the new SSD? Do you have a bootable installation USB disk prepared? We need to know what you are trying to do, if you don't have the operating system on the new drive it will not boot.

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,753 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi @Sanderson724 a new drive does not have an operating system installed on it.
    What version of Windows does the removed disk have?

Thank you.
    All the best.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,941 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, the easiest way is to clone the old SSD to the new SSD so you have everything on the new drive. If the new drive is empty then of course you can't load anything from it. :) The reinstall clean is an option, but you will no longer have any of the Acer specific apps. To clone the drive put the original drive back in and the new drive into the second SSD slot. Use any of the cloning utilities (I use Macrium Reflect last time) to clone the old to the new making sure it only change the size of the system partition to match the new drive size. Once the clone is complete turn it off and take the old drive out, move the new drive to the same M.2 slot as the old one was, and boot back up. Once you are sure everything is working as it should you can put the old drive into the second slot and use Disk Management to remove all it's partitions, then create one big data partition on it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,064 Trailblazer
    Options

The Predator PO3-630 desktop has 2x SSD M.2 slots (see their location below) the boot M.2 drive slot is at #25 which is identified as NGFFM1 - M.2(2280) M-key SSD1 slot and the second M.2 slot which is for a slave M.2 or Raid is #15 known as NGFFM2 - M.2(2280) M-key SSD2 slot both of the 2280 M.2 SSD slots are of the PCIe 4 x4 type. I don't know which new M.2 drive you bought or fitted to this desktop, but every M.2 SSD manufacturer has their own cloning software that they use, if you want to increase the boot drive capacity then you need to clone the boot drive at #25 and insrt the new bigger M.2 SSD into the M.2 slot #15 and use the cloning software to clone the existing boot drive and then take the old boot drive out and insert the new bigger capacity M.2 SSD drive, that is what you should have done.

M.2 SSD drives Acer lists for the PO3-630G desktop