Serial HDD Power cable for Acer Aspire TC-391-UR12

GonzoX450
GonzoX450 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter

First issue, I have three Acer products. An Acer Chromebook, an Aspire TC-390 and an Aspire TC-391. I can, and have registered the first two but Acer's reg page tells me my TC-391 is already registered, which it is not as it does not appear on my owned computer registration list. What gives with that?

Info on my TC-391

Ser# DTBGAAA002XXX

SNID: XXXX

Part#DT.BGAAA.002

Now on to my question… My TC-391 has a slot for an add-on 2.5inch drive and it also has the data connecter as you can see in my attached photo.

Now to my problem… There is NO POWER cable or connector cable to provide power to a 2.5inch drive.

I asked Acer about this years ago and I was told I would have to buy a special kit to provide power to a drive and when I asked for a part number or instructions on how and where to buy this kit, I was blown off.

Can anybody help?

[Edited the content to hide sensitive information]

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Acer's reg page tells me my TC-391 is already registered, which it is
    not as it does not appear on my owned computer registration list. What
    gives with that?

Might mean the seller registered it. Or it was registered but returned by someone else. If the SNID is recognized as valid on the Acer support site, you should be able to use the Acer chatline or other contact method provided to find out why. We're not Acer employees or customer service reps on these user forums here. So we have no way of determining actually why it was already registered.

Google search keywords "sata data and power cable" with the quotes for vendors who ship to your location. Should run about $10usd from places like Amazon.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

If it has a DVD unit then it should have a pigtail off of the power connector if not then look at EBAY or local computer stores for a " Y hard drive connector"

• JackE
    Answer ✓

Acer's reg page tells me my TC-391 is already registered, which it is
    not as it does not appear on my owned computer registration list. What
    gives with that?

Might mean the seller registered it. Or it was registered but returned by someone else. If the SNID is recognized as valid on the Acer support site, you should be able to use the Acer chatline or other contact method provided to find out why. We're not Acer employees or customer service reps on these user forums here. So we have no way of determining actually why it was already registered.

Google search keywords "sata data and power cable" with the quotes for vendors who ship to your location. Should run about $10usd from places like Amazon.

Jack E/NJ

• GonzoX450

Thanks guys.

Yes there are SATA and Data power cables. But they all use an attached Molex plug for power, which my proprietary power supply does not provide (250 Watt ATXVO).

Attached is a picture of my motherboard. I do have a SATA DVD burner and it appears to utilize the only power plug on the motherboard sadly. It is #12 on the motherboard pictured.

• GonzoX450

You may be on to something there Larryodie. I actually do have a splitter like the one in this attached photo but I could not get it to work. Can't remember why.

But I will try this again.

• JackE

If you're not trying to boot from that relic, you might want to consider a 2.5" USB3-to-SSD/HDD adapter as the easiest fix.

Jack E/NJ

• GonzoX450

Thanks JackE.

That drive is not mine. Just using it to show power plug. I am actually trying to use an nvme M.2 to 2.5inch enclusure and mount that into the 2.5inch drive slot this PC has.

But now I know why the Y splitter did not work. The power plug going to the DVD drive is completely different. I have no idea what kind of power cable it is but I have attached a picture of it in case somebody knows what type it is. If I can find a Y splitter for this plug then I may be in business.

• JackE

Looks like a microSATA power connector. You probably need something like this except with a male microSATA power connector. Also shown are part nos for cables used to connect it to the mainboard that may help narrow down precisely what you need.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

#12 is the SATA power, and it supports two devices. If your cable doesn't have two connectors then the 50.VQXD1.007 part number shown above is the correct one to add the second connector in.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • GonzoX450

I have already ordered the 50.VQXD1.007 cable from SourceIT Store

They are a Canadian company and the only ones that had it but it was expensive at $25.11 USD.

The official third party Acer Parts company at Capitaldatausa could not even be bothered to return my voicemail. They are just as bad as Acer when it comes to customer service sadly.

SourceIT Store did send me a tracking number the day after I ordered and it is due to arrive 17Jul23.

I noticed that the TC-391 has three 2.5" bays for drives (not counting the already installed DVD Burner, yet only two SATA data plugs on the motherboard.

Too bad they don't make a SATA three way power splitter cable and had three data plugs on the MB. The cheap and weak power supply these systems come with probably don't have the juice to support that though anyway.

The lack of support and cheapo shortcuts Acer takes on their PCs has turned me away from their products for those reasons. Never again.

• JackE

Good luck anyway. Let us know how it works out.

Jack E/NJ

• GonzoX450

I have already ordered the 50.VQXD1.007 cable from SourceIT Store at… https://www.sourceitstore.com/product/50-vqxd1-007/

They are a Canadian company and the only ones that had it but it was expensive at $25.11 USD.

The official third party Acer Parts company at http://www.capitaldatausa.com/ could not even be bothered to return my voicemail. They are just as bad as Acer when it comes to customer service sadly.

SourceIT Store did send me a tracking number the day after I ordered and it is due to arrive 17Jul23.

I noticed that the TC-391 has three 2.5" bays for drives (not counting the already instaled DVD Burner, yet only two SATA data plugs on the motherboard.

Too bad they don't make a SATA three way splitter cable. The cheap and weak power supply these systems come with probably don't have the juice to support that though.

The lack of support and cheap shortcuts Acer takes on their PCs has turned me away from their products for those reasons. Never again.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Yes, they use the same case design on other models, and other motherboards that have more SATA connectors allow for more drives. The TC-391 is really designed to fit the low end price point, so they are saving every penny they can…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.