How to sense and control fan speed from linux, for acer predator helios neo 16 PHN16-71 laptop?

Options
raging_dodo
raging_dodo Member Posts: 6 New User
edited July 2023 in Predator Laptops

I need to do intense GPU work, with some Python libraries like OpenAI gym, etc which do not have Windows support. I installed Kali Linux and the laptop overheats for light activity, even when the system is idle and in sleep. The temperature sense and fan PWM control are not coordinated well on Linux, and I am really worried as I have tried multiple solutions online to control the fan speed and stop the laptop from overheating.
Could someone please suggest a working solution to control fan speed (and possibly get all functionalities of the predator sense app)? I recently got the laptop for work purposes and GPU a month ago, and it seems it turns out to be useless, as I feel being forced to be on Windows to save my laptop from overheating. Could someone please suggest a working solution for this? I greatly appreciate your support.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,618 Trailblazer
    Options

A new BIOS update v1.10 has been released at this link that addresses thermal issues & may improve heat management without relying on the proprietary Windows-only PredatorSense app. The BIOS update should be executed under the Windows environment so I hope you installed Linux alongside Windows.

Jack E/NJ

• raging_dodo
    Options

Hi JackE, thanks for the response. My current Bios Version is v1.10 and I dont see any fan controls from BIOS or linux, except from the predator sense app. CPU and GPU are heating up like crazy fast, and the automatic temperature sense and fan speed control is not increasing the fan speed. I am really worried about this.

• raging_dodo
    edited August 2023
    Options

I upgraded BIOS to V1.11. Still the same, with no fan control except from Predator Sense, as far as I can see. Please help.

• JackE
    Options

Could someone please suggest a working solution to control fan speed (and possibly get all functionalities of the predator sense app)?I > > feel being forced to be on Windows to save my laptop from overheating.> >V1.11. no fan control except from Predator Sense

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that better heat management by the BIOS firmware updates also meant a BIOS fan control option had in fact been added to the setup menu. If pressing Ctrl+S in any of the BIOS tabs or pages doesn't reveal any additional hidden options, then they aren't available to the user.

At the moment, only the proprietary Windows PredatorSense app or undocumented BIOS firmware mods can provide the same or similar PredatorSense functionality outside the Windows environment.

AFAIK, no distros or their wine overlays support proprietary apps like PredatorSense & AcerCareCenter that can access hidden low level Acer BIOS functions.

Accordingly, you have two possible choices.

(1) Make a simple request to unhide fan control options in the latest Insyde firmware for your model on the bios mods site

—- OR —-

(2) Install 64-bit Kali alongside Windows using Windows Hyper-V virtualization as described in this link.

vi

Jack E/NJ

• raging_dodo
    Options

Thanks, Jacke. Could you please let me know more about the first option, where I can request for fan control outside the windows environment?

• JackE
    Options

Google keywords "bios mods". Click on the first Google link to the bios mods site. Click the help resources tab drop down. Click contact us. Enter you name, email address, subject (for example,Unhide fan control Insyde BIOS version #), and then describe what control options you'd like to see in one of the BIOS tabs in your PHN16-71.

Jack E/NJ

• Slovn
    Slovn Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi raging_dodo!

You get a custom BIOS?

• raging_dodo
    Options

No Slovn, I have the typical BIOS from Acer, and too hesitant to try a custom BIOS or mess with the one that came with the laptop. I haven't tried JackE's solution and would appreciate more help in that regard (I never tried that and I don't want to brick as I have important work I need every day). Thank you.

• JackE
    Options

I haven't tried JackE's solution and would appreciate more help in that
    regard (I never tried that and I don't want to brick as I have important
    work I need every day). .

Applying undocumented mods to Acer Windows-oriented firmware is ALWAYS RISKIER than applying Acer-approved updates from Acer downloads. There are NO 100% guarantees that a brick won't happen in either case.

Accordingly, I suggest that you neither make a request for, nor apply any mods or updates to try to accommodate BIOS fan control limitations of your current distro installation.

Jack E/NJ