Is SpatialLabs Go broken?

Options
MalleoLucis
MalleoLucis Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I updated today, and when I went to go look at SBS 3D videos on YT, the 3D didn't work.

It was just 2 images of the left and the right placed on top of each other for both eyes. Then I tried the 2D convert to 3D and it was just 2 images of one side out of sync placed to both eyes.

For example, lets say the left eye and the right eye is supposed to see one image to give the 3D effect. We will call this L and R. Now lets say we have the SpatialLabs screen that splits these images and send them to the eye we will call this R( ) and L( ). Now let the space of the sweet spot be represented by _ and anything that does not hit the sweet spot be represented with more.

The Correct image that should show the 3D effect is

R( R )_L ( L ). Where the right eye is getting the right image and the left eye is getting the left image at the correct spacing.

Here's the problem that I am experiencing.

SBS = R(R+L)__L(R+L) Where both left and right eye are getting the SAME image of two faded images of left and right stacked on top of each other.

2D = R( R+R )__L( R+R ). Where both the left and the right eye are getting two of the SAME image that are stacked on top of each other to each eye that are slightly off .

To be honest this is what I think is happening. All I know is that it's broken.

Answers

• Ouch2late
    Ouch2late Member Posts: 22 Networker
    edited July 2023
    Options

I don't convert YT content but I did try it when I first purchased the monitor and after seeing your post I decided to give it another try. The YT video I tested is titled "3D New York: 34th Street - SBS version - Binaural Audio". I experienced what you described at the default setting however, I resolved this by launching the Spacial Lads Experience app and setting the 2D conversion mode to "Quality" and the 3D depth effect to 2 or 3. Although ideally, the spacing should be perfect regardless of the depth. Was it the same at any depth before the update?

• MalleoLucis

Tinkerer

edited July 2023
    Options

I tried what you said and it's still is broken and all over the place. There is no percieved depth. Let me be clear I watched this same video and saw the depth in it before updating it today. It was a pretty fun watch. Now it's just a 2D image and both eyes are getting an L+R transparent overlay of the same image to both eyes. For the SBS. For the 2D convert to 3D it is just 2 right side images with one shifted a little.

The other things like model viewer works. It's SpatialLabs Go 2.1.0. Unfortunately, I can't revert back because they AUTO update and don't let us choose to go back. Quite sad and restrictive IMO.

Also, the other things like the model viewer, etc. Still works. It's only go that doesn't.

• MalleoLucis

Tinkerer

Options

I am not sure if my comment posted or not so this might be a double post. I've tried your suggestion and it is still broken.

To be clear, everything was working fine up until I updated today. In fact that video was great in SBS 3D. The other apps seem to be working fine except spatiallabs go. It's still giving me an overlay of transparent L+R image to both eyes in SBS . Each eye is getting the same image. Then in 2D conversion is the Right side image overlayed transparent but just shifted a bit. To both eyes. Each eye is getting R+R shifted. I can't go back and revert to the previous version because every time I open it up, it auto updates.

It claims I am using SpatialLabs Go 2.1.0. The other apps still work fine. ALTHOGH the image meant for one eye has been leaking into the other image has become more noticeable. I have no clue what is causing this.

• Ouch2late
    Ouch2late Member Posts: 22 Networker
    Options

Oh, I misunderstood. It sounds completely broken for you. I'm on the same version 2.1.0 and after further testing at a conversion of "Quality" set to a depth of "2" I'm pretty impressed and can see myself using this more often for YT. Have you tried a clean install of the software? Mabe the update was corrupted in some way.

• MalleoLucis

Tinkerer

Options

Problem: SpatialLabs Go was not working as intended.

Solution: User Error, I probably set it on in 1080 and forgot I changed the resolution or something I installed set it to 1080. In order for any of the 3D to work with the screen it must be in 4k resolution. I switched to 4k resolution, and it started working again. I switched back to 1080 resolution and a similar behavior came back.

I want to thank Ouch2late for helping me troubleshoot. At a certain point I thought it was my eyes lol. It was working for him and not me. Other apps worked fine (which probably switch to 4k) but not spatial labs go.

The Post

I did clean install it. It was still broken. I checked just now before posting and it started working again and truthfully, I have no clue why. I did take a bath, change my shirt (all white). Clean my glasses. Then turned it off for 3 hours. Then I came back from the store and played some games in basic regular 2D for some time. I changed my power profile to performance, played around with benchmarks from 1080 to 4k. Unfortunately, I didn't check before I turned it back on if it was still broken lol.

I went back and tried to find out what caused it. My best guess, and the only way I can recreate the similar breaking, is by having my desktop at 1080 resolution. It's not exactly the same but close to the same way I described. I know it's supposed to be at 4K for SR to work as intended. I am thinking when I played the game in 2D 1080 (witcher 3 on ultra lol) it switched my resolution to 1080. Then when I came back and switched the resolution in another game to 4k, it must have switched to 4k. Fixing the problem. I can't tell the difference between the two on desktop because I use the windows scale to 250% to keep everything the same size.