My new Predator Helios 16 (2023 RTX 4070) has freezing issues that requires manual reset

Options
yasmaester
yasmaester Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello, I just recently acquired my Helios Predator 16 and I noticed earlier that it has times where it completly freezes and does not return back unless I manually shut it down and turn it back on, the technician said that I just have to keep updating my video cards since the unit has a new video card in the market and is attributed to unfished raw product…

but I still sometimes get the freeze, I notice it usually happens when my video card switches from integrated to the gpu, but not all the time, there are really times it just freezes (not all the time, rarely 3 out 10). Usually it freezes by a second only with normal optimus switching, but there are really times where it does not come back and manual reset happens.

what course of action should I do? can someone explain why this happens? this laptop has a hefty price for it to have this kind of problem.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,998 Trailblazer
    edited July 2023
    Options

You need to make sure that you are running the latest (as of 3rd July 2023) RTX4070 Laptop GeForce Game Ready Driver Version: 536.40 WHQL driver, and when you install this driver make sure that you use the Advanced option of this drivers installation software and do a Clean Install that uninstalls the previous drivers of any RTX4070 driver that you have on your laptop.

Make sure that you install all Win-11 OS updates and make sure that you install the Intel Drive and support Assistant software so that you have all the latest Intel drivers also installed on your laptop.

Also, go to NVidia Control Panel and at Program Settings > Select a program to customise > Select the preferred graphics processor for this program > High-performance NVIDIA processor > Specify the setting for the program is the final settings if you have specific settings for gaming and any special settings that a high-end software require. Its also helpful to run these high end gaming laptop with their max ram capacity of 32GB at 2x 16GB DDR5-4800MHz type ram.

Note: setting all the appropriate and your high demanding software to only use the RTX4070 gpu with their appropriate settings in the NVidia Control Panel will reduce lag and freezing of your laptop greatly.

• DP2023
    DP2023 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    edited July 2023
    Options

I have the same issue on my acer helios 16 neo 4060, I bought a month ago, freezes every single day once, it was driving me nuts.

I found a temp solution to stop the freezing just today.
    In the Nvidia Control Panel - Power management global setting - set it to 'prefer max performance'
    This stopped the freezing for me.
    But now the GPU is running on full clock for core and memory all the time.
    Dono if that would impact the longevity of the GPU a bit.
    Maybe the next nvidia driver update might resolve this issue, where we can run it on normal without freezing.
    But the fly in this ointment is that, my friend purchased the same laptop as me just few days ago, and he has no such freezing issue.
    So I hope it is not a h/w issue and only a s/w one.

I asked Jarrod tech about this,
    He was guessing that maybe the factory overclock applied to the GPU is not stable, and therefore crashing at low to idle states.
    I'm hoping this is a s/w issue that would get sorted in an update or 2 from nvidia.

• DP2023
    DP2023 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options

Update: Laptop still freezes, even with 'prefer max performance' setting.
    So yea, will have to ask for a replacement.
    Hopefully they'll do it without too much difficulty.

• cooljim
    cooljim Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    My new Predator Helios 16-71AV (2023 RTX 4060) also has freezing issues that requires manual reset. What the heck?!? I'll install the latest drivers from NVIDIA and hopes that'll fix the issue. If not… I'm sending this back.

Updating from 537.34 to 537.42. I'll tell how this goes.

• cooljim

Tinkerer

Options

I updated the drivers from NVIDIA from 537.34 to 537.42. The laptop still freezes, requiring a hard reboot. I find this disappointing, as

I also own an Acer Predator (Helios PH315-51-74V4 15.6-Inch FHD IPS 144Hz i7-8750H 32GB 256GB SSD + 1TB GTX 1060 Windows 11) that I purchased a in December 2018 and am VERY PLEASED with that laptop!!

So… which laptop is truly representative of Acer's quality? The terrific Predator Helios PH315-51-74V4 from 2018 or the crappy, freezey, crashy Predator Helios 16-71AV from last week??

I'll give Acer a week to help me resolve this, then I'm sending it back!

• kongmingtwo
    kongmingtwo Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

Similar issues here. I've had all sorts of problems.

Usually I'd just get daily hangups that would catch and resolve, but lately I'm getting freezes that need a hard reset.

Then I got a game today that makes it freeze about every 90 minutes and require a hard reset. It's incredibly frustrating.

I've tried all the suggestions I could find, nothing. =(

• cooljim

Tinkerer

Options

Addition: My model is the Predator Helios 16. PH16-71-71AV.

• cooljim

Tinkerer

Options

Okay. Thanks! I truly hope this works, I'll try it when I get home from work.

I've felt good about Acer and the Predator line for five years now. I hope to continue that good feeling with this new laptop.

• cooljim

Tinkerer

Options

Okay. I downloaded the recommended BIOS update. I tried to run it. It failed. I tried to run it again as Administrator. Again it failed. What's going on here? Here's the error message:

• eGomes
    eGomes Member Posts: 2,936 Guru
    Options

Hi, @cooljim!

Please, open Command Prompt / Terminal (Admin mode), type command below:

wmic bios get biosversion, smbiosbiosversion

Then, put here an screenshot with the results!

• eGomes
    eGomes Member Posts: 2,936 Guru
    Options

Good news, it looks like Acer released it today a new firmware UEFI / BIOS version 1.15, is available to download for Predator PH16-71 series:

https://www.acer.com/us-en/support/product-support/Predator%20PH16-71/downloads?suggest=Ph16;0

Regards!

• cooljim

Tinkerer

Options

I installed that new firmware UEFI / BIOS version 1.15, and it seemed to have worked. Thanks Acer people! I'll be back if I have more of these issues with my new Predator.

• sloonzz
    sloonzz Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Options

Is it still working until now? I'm having the same issue where it's randomly freezing and then the audio is stuttering in a loop. Also, when I download the BIOS update from Acer and try to run it, the cursor loads for a while then stops and nothing happens. This is so frustrating.

• Blueringedocto
    Blueringedocto Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Hi, any update to this? I am facing the same issue with the same model. This has been ongoing since purchse in May, 2023.

• TimmyLee
    TimmyLee Member Posts: 121 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options

Similar issues here with Predator Helios 16. Worked great for a couple weeks and now no keyboard lighting or use for PredatorSense. No readings or data from Sense Software. Acer offers no help except to send them the dang laptop after I spent weeks setting it up for my work. Very disappointed. My 1st Predator Helios 300 was an awesome computer… still using it.