TRITON 500 SE PT516-52S-718U and ubuntu 22.04, screen flickering after sleep

Options
QuentinoDeLaVega
QuentinoDeLaVega Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited April 26 in Predator Laptops

Hello all,

I have installed ubuntu on three PT516-52S-718U. The three of them have the same problem :

On the first boot, the screen is working well, screen brightness can be changed. But as soon as I wake up the computer after sleep (lid close, automatic suspend, …), the backlight is flickering.

Did one of you already setup ubuntu on this computer ? Did you experienced the same behavior ?

A tried to update the kernel (6.3), update the BIOS, play with GRUB parameters, nothing seems to fix it…

Thanks,

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,587 Trailblazer
    Options

I have installed ubuntu on three PT516-52S-718U.

Alongside Windows?

Jack E/NJ

• QuentinoDeLaVega

Tinkerer

Options

Tried few options :

• Dual boot with Windows 11
    • Ubuntu 22.04 only
    • Linux Mint

Same behavior.

I have open a thread on the ubuntu forums : https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2488331

• JackE
    Options

If these machines were delivered with factory-installed Windows, fast startup should first be UNchecked in Control Panel power button app BEFORE ever trying to install Linux alongside or alone. I have always suspected fast startup leaves an imprint on one or more of the trusted files in the EFI partition that somehow affects sleep functionality on some machines even after the Windows system partition is long gone. I've never figured out why nor attempted to directly modify any of the stuff in EFI partition nor remove a trusted file entry in BIOS security to try to remove this apparent imprint. It might be possible. I've always just disabled fast startup because it seems to avoid sleep/hibernate problems like this even in the Windows environment without having to cold boot the machine all the time after sleeping. Thanks for posting the ubuntu link and hope somebody everntually responds with a better answer than my workaround.

Jack E/NJ

• QuentinoDeLaVega

Tinkerer

Options

Unfortunatly, this didn't help (I should have tried before!).

I see the same behavior after disabling Fast Boot and reinstalling the OS (with & without dual boot)…

• JackE
    edited July 2023
    Options

What happens if the KB backlight is FN+F4 toggled on & off after suspend?

Jack E/NJ

• QuentinoDeLaVega

Tinkerer

edited July 2023
    Options

It works as expected ;)

(How can that be linked ? ;) )

• JackE
    Options

I have a related Triton model that exhibits odd Cinnamon desktop and sleep behavior when the KB backlight is enabled. So thought it might be worth a try to see if it has any good or bad effects on the display after sleep.

Accordingly, I've concluded a BIOS firmware issue is also at play with these particular models. The issue? The new-fangled firmware seems to be tailored to work (almost) like it should inside the Win environment, not Lin.

I don't expect Acer to release a firmware update that works as well inside Lin anytime soon. The ubuntu developers will likely come out with a fix before Acer does anything.

Might be worthwhile to give your ubuntu forum post a bump to see if you can wake anybody up there today.

Jack E/NJ

• Axxo
    Axxo Member, Ally Posts: 256
    Options

I am really sorry for the inconvenience. It might be the issue with poweroutlet, surge protector, cables or on devices which you are connecting the monitor or may be the monitor itself. Kindly follow the steps given below to narrow down the issue.

1. If the monitor is connected directly to a power outlet try to connect the monitor to a different power outlet on a different room and check.
    2. If the monitor is connected to a surge protector, bypass the surge protector and connect it directly to power outlet and check. Try to use a different surge protector and check.
    3. Try to use alternative cables for monitor and check.
    4. On the monitor - there are different menu buttons. Press the control menu buttons and try to reset the settings of monitor and check.
    5. To isolate the issue , try to connect the monitor to a different computer and check whether the same problem appears.

• QuentinoDeLaVega

Tinkerer

Options

@Nuk3

We also gave up and stopped buying Acer. We switched to Dell.

@Axxo

Have you read the initial part of the thread? This response is irrelevant.