OneDrive not starting automatically in Acer Predator Helios 300

Options
HolmesSam
HolmesSam Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited June 2023 in Windows 11

I have an Acer Predator Helios 300, I got it the other day and set it up. One of the things I did was set up OneDrive, and then a couple of days later I "optimised" startup applications using Acer CareCenter. After that, OneDrive wouldn't start automatically,. so I "Restored" the changes. Now, OneDrive STILL won't start automatically. I can enable it in Startup, but then after a couple of restarts it goes back to not starting automatically. I thought this was CareCenter still interfering with it, but I have now uninstalled CareCenter and it is still not starting on Windows startup. Is there anything I can do to fix this, as I use OneDrive every day so I don't fancy having to start it manually each time.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• HolmesSam

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

OK, latest update - I COMPLETELY removed OneDrive. I used a program called Revo Uninstaller to scan for registry items and other files after uninstall. I then rebooted and reinstalled OneDrive from the Microsoft Website. This seems to have worked as it is now starting automatically when Windows boots. I have shut down and restarted the laptop twice in the past hour and on both occasions OneDrive started up automatically.

Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,788 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi @HolmesSam do you use a Microsoft account associated with One Drive?

Thank you.
    All the best.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• HolmesSam

Tinkerer

Options

Hi @Alejandro_AC , I do, yes.

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

And does it show up in device manager?

and in the systray?

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

X (Twitter)

• HolmesSam

Tinkerer

Options

@Alejandro_AC yes it shows up in Programs, and in the Systray. The actual app is working, I can use OneDrive and it syncs. It just decides to switch itself off from starting when I boot Windows. It's currently enabled in Startup Apps so if I reboot it will work, but I guarantee tomorrow or the next day when I turn my laptop on again it will not be starting when I boot into Windows. I was convinced it was Acer CareCenter interfering, but as that is no longer installed I'm not so sure anymore. I may have to do a full factory restore but I hope it won't come to that!

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

X (Twitter)

• HolmesSam

Tinkerer

Options

Ok @Alejandro_AC, I've done that - followed the instructions on that page. I also unlinked my account and linked it again. We'll see what happens.

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

Ok, you already commented, I hope it is solved.

Thank you.
    All the best.

X (Twitter)

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

Open Task Manager and look at the Startup tab. Is OneDrive listed?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • HolmesSam

Tinkerer

Options

@billsey yes, but it is usually showing Disabled and I have to go in and re-enable it.

• HolmesSam

Tinkerer

Options

Ok, thanks everyone for your help. As of this evening, the suggestion by @Alejandro_AC to reset OneDrive has not worked. Nor has the article suggested by @Puraw. When I get a chance this weekend I will do a full factory reset of the laptop and see if that fixes the issue. If not…well it looks like I'll have to subscribe to Dropbox instead.

• HolmesSam

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

OK, latest update - I COMPLETELY removed OneDrive. I used a program called Revo Uninstaller to scan for registry items and other files after uninstall. I then rebooted and reinstalled OneDrive from the Microsoft Website. This seems to have worked as it is now starting automatically when Windows boots. I have shut down and restarted the laptop twice in the past hour and on both occasions OneDrive started up automatically.

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

I'm glad, thanks for sharing it with the community.

All the best.

X (Twitter)