Acer Aspire 5 Are Acer laptops good quality?

han14
han14 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited June 2023 in Aspire Laptops

Obviously, this is not the usual question asked on this sub, but I'm very curious.

A few days ago, I purchased an Acer Aspire 5 (link included) for university and very light gaming. It seemed like a great deal to me, with an i5 8250u, 256G SSD, 8GB DDR4, and an MX 150. It also feels like it's built really well, and I've had no problems with it so far. However, my father tells me that Acer is one of the worst brands out there when it ocmes to laptops, and wants me to return it. I need my laptop to last at least 5 years, so if what he says about Acer is true, I will trade it.

Does anyone have experience with this particular laptop, or with Asus as a company? Will this laptop last me 5 years? What laptop will easily last 5 years?

Side Note: I'll be studying Computer Science as my major.

Thanks in advance!

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• eGomes
    eGomes Member Posts: 3,836 Guru

Hi @han14,

Your father besides being a very wise person, is absolutely right! I don't recommend Acer laptops equipped with AMD Ryzen processors, because Acer does not like to update the AGESA and SMU code.

So listen to your dear father's advice!

É hora de dizer adeus ao Windows 11! 🤢🤮👎🏻 Linux Zorin e Mint, aí vou eu...🫡🫣

• KanagawaTomasu
    KanagawaTomasu Member Posts: 157 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited June 2023

This IS an ACER Community blog, but here is my "two cents worth." (My opinion)

Respect to Dear Old Dad,

I have an Acer Aspire 5, i-5, Iris Graphics, 12 GB RAM, 512 GB M2 drive and a 1 TB Crucial (SATA) SSD.

(I upgraded the RAM and SATA SSD.)

This notebook PC is light weight, sturdy, easy to upgrade. NOT expensive. Decent screen for study. I really like it.

(My Wife can do anything she wants on the Aspire, in two different languages.

I suggest you will need a bigger drive for storage but otherwise you are good to go with an Acer.

I also have an Acer Predator Helios 300. It is MORE powerful, 3 times the weight of the Aspire. Don't recommend dragging one of those to class.

Your call.

Good luck.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,431 Trailblazer

I have a Aspire A515-51 since 2018 and still working, any electrical equipment can fail at anytime, so it's all depend on how you maintain your laptop, even then it can fail for no reason at all, Acer has been producing very good laptops at an affordable price, my first Acer Aspire 5610z lasted almost 9 years and have done all experiments on it and learnt a lot, most of my Acer Laptops have served me more than 5 years, so it's over to you to decide.

• SureCanDoComputers
    SureCanDoComputers Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

It's important to note that Acer stands out as a rare company when it
    comes to the ease of sourcing parts in case of laptop failure. Unlike
    other brands like Gigabyte, HP, Apple, MSI, and Razer, where finding
    genuine parts can be challenging and often requires going through
    unofficial sources, Acer makes it significantly easier. Additionally,
    ACER motherboards are highly repairable and can be easily fixed by most
    board level technicians.

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,198 Pathfinder

@han14

There are many people around the world who are using Acer computers for many years. Even if your computer goes bad you stiill have warranty for the new computer. There are multiple components inside the laptop and desktop. You can find motherboard, processor, memory, hdd, power supply, battery, cables, display screen etc.. The entire laptop will not go bad and even if one of the components is gone bad you can still repair or replace it.

When you use a computer you face two types of issues. It might be a hardware and software issue. If it is a software issue we can always try a series of steps to make it to work and if it is still not working then you can always reinstall windows. If it is a hardware issue we can always do a diagnosis, check which part is gone bad and you can always repair or replace it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★