Aspire A715-71G touch pad lost cursor when Realtek driver loaded

Options
db2023touch
db2023touch Member Posts: 1 New User

My laptop was shutting down and booting very slowly so I loaded the Realtek audio driver. That caused the cursor to disappear and the touchpad to be unresponsive. This recovered with a System Restore but still no cursor or touchpad. I tried to load the touchpad driver after the Serial IO as recommended, but the Serial IO was older than the Acer drivers. I loaded anyway, and it needed another System Restore. Now I have no working touchpad and reboots are still very slow. A USB mouse does work. Is there a way to load all the drivers at once? It seems the drivers are hit-and-miss with one loaded each reboot (25+ minutes) and they are sometimes not newer than the Windows driver. Any suggestions?

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,891 Trailblazer
    Options

Your Aspire model is not on Acer's eligible Windows11 list so if you installed W11 your drivers will not be Acer supported. Downgrade to Windows10. Open Device Manager and check for Unknown Devices and Yellow exclamation marks, also in hidden devices, uninstall all those rogue drivers. Uninstall Realtek audio drivers in Safe Mode with DDU (Wagnardsoft.com) and uninstall your Touchpad drivers (incl. I2C HID Device) but make sure you have an USB mouse connected as you will lose control after uninstalling the Touchpad drivers, don't install any drivers, let Windows11 do the installing, just reboot.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,068 Trailblazer
    edited June 2023
    Options

Which touchpad have you got, as there are two for this laptop, there is the Synaptics or the ELANTECH touchpad? Touchpad problems are not caused by other drivers, touchpad problems are cause by hardware failure, as a touchpad either works or dosent work, so be aware of that.

First uninstall the touchpad driver completely through Device Manager, then reinstall the appropriate driver from the Acer Drivers & Manuals for the A715-75G as reinstalling a Realtek drive should not affect your touchpad function. The touchpad problem might be because there is something wrong with either your touchpad FFC cable or the actual touchpad itself, so check that aspect of your laptop out, which means that you will have to disassemble the laptop.

These are the components that are part of your touchpad that could be faulty and the reason why your touchpad doesn’t work, as you have done a windows reset and after doing that your touchpad should work 100%, inspect the below components and/or change them as doing that will make your touchpad work, there is no magic software or trick that will make a faulty touchpad work, check the components below and the check if the touchpad cables is not lose and not making contact with the mobo plug, which can happen and cause a touchpad not working.

TOUCHPAD FFC CABLE

This is the only touchpad that Acer lists in the A715-75Gs SG, they don't list a part number for the Synaptics touchpad, but the below touchpad is the same and will work 100%.