Acer PO3-640 I am currently looking to upgrade PSU

Options
lashtree
lashtree Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited June 2023 in Predator Desktops

Hello,

I am currently looking to upgrade PSU for my PO3-640. The reason is i am looking to fit Asus Dual fan RTX 4070 in my case, which seems to fit according to one post i saw in the community. And recently I saw a Thermaltake PSU ATX12V which supports 12V Rail design. I don't have much knowledge about PC building so looking for any guidance/help from anyone here who has this PSU or maybe guide me with any best option for upgrade.

The PSU is - https://www.newegg.ca/thermaltake-toughpower-gf3-series-ps-tpd-1000fnfagu-4-1000-w/p/N82E16817153437?Item=N82E16817153437&Description=PPSSTRCMPJIJRL&cm_re=PPSSTRCMPJIJRL-_-17-153-437-_-Product

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,941 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

You are going to have to find the pinouts of the various connectors for that supply, the build a wiring harness that converts the 24 pin ATX connector to a six pin and four pin ATX12VO connector. They don't supply the right cables for your use with the supply. You will need to provide +12V to #21 in this diagram and both +12V and PS_On to #5:

The rest of the power you will need for your 4070 will come off other connectors on the PSU and I believe they are included with the unit.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

You are going to have to find the pinouts of the various connectors for that supply, the build a wiring harness that converts the 24 pin ATX connector to a six pin and four pin ATX12VO connector. They don't supply the right cables for your use with the supply. You will need to provide +12V to #21 in this diagram and both +12V and PS_On to #5:

The rest of the power you will need for your 4070 will come off other connectors on the PSU and I believe they are included with the unit.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lashtree
    lashtree Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

@billsey Thanks for that! I fit the 4070 with the current PSU. The TDP is currently under 200 in all games with 4k and temps are under 70 on both CPU and GPU so will stick to stock PSU for now until I feel a real need for it. But the info it helps, thanks.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,064 Trailblazer
    Options

Use this adaptor, its specially made for 24pin PSUs and its called "24 Pin To 8 Pin PSU Main Power Supply ATX Adapter Cable" you can get it on eBay, Amazon, see this

• billsey
    Options

That adapter will not work, it has an 8 pin connector, which doesn't fit in the 6 pin socket used on the PO3-640 and other Acer 12VO models. There are others that do use the 6 pin connector though…

• Bassfreak85
    Bassfreak85 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Im going to cut the two 4 pin and the 6 pin on the existing power supply and leave the connected on thd mb I just need to confirm the pin layouts on the 6 pin side as well as the orientation. If it works I might make a few adaptors for the community.

• Bassfreak85
    Bassfreak85 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Can you give me the pin layouts and the physical location of each so I can splice the 24 pin adaptor?

• billsey
    Options

Sure.

You are looking at #5 for the 6 pin and both #21s for the 4 pin.