Post battery replacement issue on Acer Spin 713 CP713-2W-5874. The unit does not turn on

Options
BigG422
BigG422 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited March 25 in Chromebooks

I recently replaced the battery in my Acer Spin 713 CP713-2W-5874 with an OEM Acer battery and it definitely has increased the battery life. My old battery was at 72% battery life. The only problem I'm having is the chromebook OS is having problems identifying that I installed a new battery. I tried running it until it turned off after a full charge, but unfortunately it would never turn back on after plugging in the oem charger. I, again just like when I installed the battery, had to unplug the battery, plug in the charger, then reconnect the battery, and then it would turn in on show it was charging. It shows the proper time left to full charge when plugged in but when off the charger it only says battery full, and thinks that its still plugged in. I cant do any discharging tests or anything of that nature. Even when sometimes it will show the percentage left when running on the battery, it wont tell me an estimate on how much time I have left on just battery power. I also tried holding the power button for 15 seconds to erase any battery stats. That didnt work. Am I going to have to powerwash in order to get it to register properly?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,891 Trailblazer
    Options

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-powerwash-chromebook-4687496

Do that and also charge the battery to 100%, unplug the charger and use (drain) the battery till the Chromebook turns itself off (hibernates). Plug in the charger and let it charge till 100% full. This represents a complete charge cycle that the OS registers and hopefully your battery issue will be resolved.

• BigG422

Tinkerer

Options

What's the correct order here. Is it power wash, charge it up to 100%, then drain it until it hypernates

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,891 Trailblazer
    Options

First the battery reset ("Powerwash") then the complete charge cycle procedure.

• BigG422

Tinkerer

Options

Thank you, I will try that soon.

• BigG422

Tinkerer

Options

So I powerwashed and tried this powercycle method and my battery is still not working correctly. I charged it to 100% and let it run out of battery power by hybernating and it would not turn on at all. I had to AGAIN unplug the battery, plug in the charger, replug in the battery in and THEN it would actually turn on. I even let the battery charge to 100 percent where the battery light turned blue. I tried it again by just turning the power off and then trying to turn it back on while on battery power, it seems sporadic on whether it will turn back on. any ideas?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

A Hibernation will not run the battery down. You have to actually have the laptop running until it shuts down due to low battery in order to perform a cycle.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BigG422

Tinkerer

Options

I did exactly that and let it run down all the way while it was on running on battery power. I was just using whatever similar terminology was used before. I have the same problem/experience as the person one above your comment, and various others in forums, in that it says the battery is there but it just wont turn on after the chromebook has been shut down. The battery accuracy on the percentage left while running off the battery in chrome os is very accurate and the time to charge the battery to full is also accurate and within the scope of time it took to charge the older battery.

• fischling
    fischling Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I see that you've commented sereral times in posts involving the battery replacement issue with the CP 713 spin where a new battery will not "boot up" unless it's disconnected, then plug in the charger plugged in, connect the battery while charging and then it'lll boot up. Disconnect the charger and it will run on the battery until you power it off, then it's back to square one.. battery won't boot up next time you log in. Do you know if a solution was been discovered? Last thing I saw was you thinking there was a "charge circuit" and that perhaps Acer would provide an update addressing it. I've tried 3 different batteries and had this same issue each time. Whatever you can share would be very helpful. THANKS!