Maybe my BIOS corrupted while updating from v1.04 to 1.10 in Aspire a715-42G

Options
aakashkharod
aakashkharod Member Posts: 2 New User

I was updating my BIOS version from 1.04 to 1.10. But after update my system doesn't boot, only a black screen comes, keyboard backlight remains on. I think my BIOS is corrupted. I want to recover my previous BIOS version by using a USB flash drive recovery. I watched some youtubers and those were 2-3 year old videos and they were saying that you need to copy .fd file to USB drive. But I found that now all BIOS versions comes with .bin file. So some youtubers suggests to rename that bin file extension to .fd file and you can find its name in hex editor by searching .fd, then in may case I opened 'abobios.bin' into hex editor and I searched for .fd file but there was nothing what I was looking for. Now I don't know what to rename that bin file to flash that BIOS? In some old articles people are saying to edit that file to 'ZG5IA32.fd' but I am not sure. What is the current full process to flash the BIOS. Please can anyone help me! I am also attaching screenshot of files got extracted from 'GH5VZ104.exe' Thanks.

BIOS download Link - https://www.acer.com/in-en/support?search=A715-42G&filter=global_download&suggest=a715-42;0

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,891 Trailblazer
    Options

Flashing BIOS with a USB drive has a very low success rate, best is to try and reset CMOS but you need to open your laptop to do that and if your laptop is still under warranty opening your laptop will void it.
    Open the back of your laptop, locate the CMOS (round) capsule at the right side of the main battery, open it and take the coin battery out, shorten the +/- contacts inside the capsule with a bended paperclip for a second, replace the coin battery in the same position, close the CMOS capsule and close the laptop. Try to boot now. If it won't boot I suggest that you bring/send your laptop to Acer Services in your country to reset BIOS (very small service fee or free under warranty).

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,068 Trailblazer
    edited June 2023
    Options

Just for your information, I’m including the “Crisis Utility SOP & Creating the Crisis Utility Disk” to recover a corrupted bios and its from your Aspire A715-42Gs laptop SG, so try this method also,

Be aware that this is NOT an 100% recovery method as you might need to either reprogram the bios chip or replace it if its damaged and that was the cause of the bios failing to update. To reprogram a bios chip you need to use the EEPROM BIOS Writer CH341A*1 Tool that you need to have experience in using, so be warned before you buy and use this tool.

• aakashkharod
    aakashkharod Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you everyone for all your help, I successfully flashed to my previous BIOS version v1.04 using USB flash drive and Fn + Esc method. I will share step by step tutorial in some days.