Acer PC problems with booting after CMOS battery replacement.

Cramborine
Cramborine Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi,

I have used the Acer PC 885 series intel core i5 for 5 years now and yesterday it came up with the error message

"Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected device and press a key."

So I checked a few things, the boot order is correct, the hard disk doesn't seem corrupted (I could access all the windows boot files on another device), and then I checked the CMOS battery and realised it was dead. I replaced this and edited the system date and time to fix the checksum errors but then it returns back to the above booting error message. Does anyone have some advice?

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,825 Trailblazer

Yes, a SSD error, reseat the SSD. A corrupted bootloader on the HDD, maybe you crashed or BIOS needs to be reset. The only way to find out if the bootloader is not corrupted is by booting with that boot drive. If you have a Windows Recovery flash drive you can boot with that and try to Reset this PC without losing your files, there are ways to repair the bootloader:
    https://www.ubackup.com/articles/repair-windows-bootloader.html

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

"Acer PC 885" doesn't really tell us which model you have. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like xxxxx-xxx-xxxx. Is it a TC-885, an XC-885, etc.? Go into the BIOS and reset to defaults, then verify it's still configured for a UEFI boot environment with Secure Boot enabled, unless your '885' is old enough to have shipped with Windows 7 or earlier. An issue with the SSD or HDD is less likely than the BIOS not being set right.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.