Predator Helios 16 PH16-71 I7 13700HX Temps issue?

Options
Vanstrei
Vanstrei Member Posts: 4 New User
edited June 2023 in Predator Laptops

Hello there i have bought 3days ago the new Predator Helios 16 with I7 13700hx and Rtx 4070 16gig ram.
I've been enjoying my gaming laptop so far but i have only one concern which is Temps !!!
My cpu is getting about 95 to 100c while gaming, not even heavy load.
I thought that the issue was about only me but i have another friend who ordered the same configuration and is experiencing the same.
Also i feel like we really need a bios with undervolting features.

[Edited the thread to add model name]

Answers

• Vanstrei
    Options

Also my Bios version is 1.6 and i was on 1.3 before and still the same issue on both versions.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 9,732 Trailblazer
    Options

The max CPU temp after 15 min. heavy load is reported in the link below: 1.30 GHz @ 3.62 GHz @ 75°C @ 115W, 95-100°C. is far too high
    https://laptopmedia.com/review/acer-predator-helios-16-ph16-71-review-liquid-metal-meets-a-huge-power-draw/p6/

There is a brand new version of Predator Sense, did you install that?

• 2023/05/26
    • Version:4.1.585

BTW the BIOS versions are 1.06 and 1.03, 1.05 is reported on this forum to address thermal issues.
    Since undervolting is locked, I suggest reducing the processor maximum power state to 95% (on power) and try that.

Consider bringing the laptop back to the retailer as 100°C will damage the CPU.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,447 Trailblazer
    edited June 2023
    Options

Just in addition, your Predator Helios 16 PH16-71 I7 has allot of tools to keep the laptop cool and at the ultimate settings for high end gaming. Use the Predator Sense Scenario Profile settings (read the manual of your Predator to do this) you must also use the GeForce Experience NVidia software game settings (this software has ultimate settings for over 1500 games) and especially with the new RTX 40 series, make sure that you have the last GeForce Game Ready Driver – WHQL Driver Version: 535.98 - Release Date: Tue May 30, 2023 for this laptops RTX4070 GPU and also set the NVidia Control Panel > Program Settings > Select a program to customize > Select the preferred graphics processor for the program > set to High-performance NVIDIA processor as all this will reduce temps for the games that you play. Also make sure that all the windows updates are up to date and install the Intel drivers and support assistant scan is also installed, as all these factors will make your laptop perform at its ultimate best.

Predator Helios 16 PH16-71

• Vanstrei
    Options

Thank you for the amazing response both of you.
    1 I did put all the drivers up to date, and what i mean by all like really from the cpu to gpu and all other drivers that are on the acer website.
    The only way that i found to reduce the temp was to disable turbo mode on the power plan panel , i can take it back to the store as you said spiking at 100 degree is way to risky!!!
    but i really loved the laptop unfortunately

• Bornholm
    Bornholm Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Options

Any other user affected by those high temperatures? I have seen some videos with exactly the same issues. I beliebe 100°C will damage the CPU. The competitors outside would be much better if 100°C is realin general.

• 4741Zuser
    4741Zuser Member Posts: 34 Troubleshooter
    edited June 2023
    Options

Try asking acer because they might help you with the situation but only if you bought it a year ago or newer.

• sai903
    sai903 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Hi there I am also facing same issue temps are 100c if I do some stress test on cpuz and the auto mode in mode fan control even in max doesnt cool it down so it constantly runs at 100c i think its not good for cpu may i know are the facing the same issue.

• Vanstrei
    Options

As i said in private acer must deploy a Bios with undervolting …. we are losing performance , and hitting thermal throttle pretty easly.

• Saksham98
    Saksham98 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Will doing a repaste going to resolve the issue? My helios 16 with rtx 4080 and 13900hx is touching 100c in normal tasks.

• m1sterd
    m1sterd Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Options

Did you do a repaste?

Does the 13900HX use liquid metal or traditional thermal paste? If its liquid metal then I dont see how you can better that unless its application was vewry poor?

• TePeL
    TePeL Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options

I just posted a thread about (unreasonably?) high CPU temps on my Helios 18.

I'm curious - what kind of temps do you guys get in BIOS @Saksham98 @Vanstrei ?

I get CPU temps of 70-80 degrees in BIOS (CPU seems to run at high frequency and voltage there, at least according to the BIOS monitoring info) which seems absurd. In particular I find that CPU temps can go up very fast with just a couple % usage; I've only ever seen this on my dekstop builds when I did a very poor job with thermal paste/CPU cooler. Wondering if the thermal paste is not applied correctly on the CPU, as GPU temps look fine. I think there should be liquid metal on these?

Same CPU on my machine, RTX4080 GPU.

• Nyxelis
    Nyxelis Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

did you find the solution for the problem as i'm facing the same problem at the moment (cpu temps are reaching 95 c )

• FrEaZeR
    FrEaZeR Member Posts: 96 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options

How fast does it go down to 60~ when in standby after the work is done ?

• Nyxelis
    Nyxelis Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

almost instantly (in like 1-2 seconds) it goes back to 59 c

• FrEaZeR
    FrEaZeR Member Posts: 96 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options

Then it doesn't look like a "paste" problem , that's it's normal temperature . I'm using laptops since 2007 or so , upgrading them from time to time untill there was almost nothing else to upgrade and i noticed when i was changing the CPUs(higher frequency) the standby/work heat was also increasing , the coolers weren't going crazy to cool them down (like it was normal) but i never reached more than 90 even on the ones with just one cooler(with environment temperature reaching 30-35) .

I always use a cooling pad or somehow lift the laptop so the fans can pull more air and have the room temerature at 25 degrees(sometimes it does reach 30+ =)) ) . Always use GPU only (because that's why it has one) . When it comes to Power i always pick preformance over power saving , in games i keep the graphics between medium-high or just medium and some of them at high .

The problem is(at least in my opinion) the fans are not placed onto CPU/GPU like inside a desktop pc , i think it's time to actually add liquid cooling inside laptops and not just for CPU and GPU but even for SSD/RAM/Chipset .