Aspire XC-830-UW91 Will Not Boot With PCI Ethernet Card

When installing a Intel ® X550-T2 2x 10GBase-T LAN Adapter into my XC-830-UW91 the machine will not post. When the machine powers on there's a continuous beep, which generally means a power issue for AMI motherboards. This is odd to me because the Intel X550-T2 maxes out under 18W and I have a Nvidia GT730 in another XC-830-UW91 that needs 30Ws. The NIC works fine in a generic Pico PC I made that runs with less than 30W.

I've updated to the latest BIOS and tried a different power adapter. Any recommendations or ideas it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer

Just for your info, this is the specs of your XC-830 desktop for LAN and its PCIe port. The Intel X550-T2 might be damaged or the PCIe x16 port on your XC-830 might be damaged. Check all that out as this LAN card should connect.

• FlamingMadness
    FlamingMadness Member Posts: 3 New User

Thanks for the info.

Both the LAN card and PCIe slot are functioning properly. This was tested by inserting an Nvidia 730 into the PCIe slot and I used the NIC card in another computer.

Inserting the X550-T2 2x 10GBase-T LAN Adapter in two different XC-830-UW91 motherboards produces the same results.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

My guess is the BIOS is seeing that a card has been inserted in the GPU slot and thinks it should disable the onboard graphics. It's also possible there is a version issue, since the Intel card is PCIe 3.0 x4 and the slot is PCIe 2.0 x16. I would be disappointed with Acer if it were the former, but could understand why they thought no one would be putting any card in that slot except a GPU. I would be disappointed with Intel if it were the latter since it really ought to be backwards compatible, albeit at the slower speed. I'm not sure using PCIe 2.0 x4 on that card could run both ports at speed… Maybe try something simple, like a single port Ethernet card in the slot to see if it also block the onboard video?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • FlamingMadness
    FlamingMadness Member Posts: 3 New User

Yeah, I currently do not have another PCIe card 3.0 to try in the slot, maybe it's just not backwards compatible with 3.0 cards. I used a BlackMagic HDMI card capture that's PCIe 2.0 and it works fine.

I agree, I'm not sure i'd get full speeds out of the cards. I'm currently using it in another computer that has a PCIe 2.0 slot, so assume an Aspire XC-830-UW91 should at least post with it in and run. Really odd that I'm receiving POST codes for power issues with it installed.

Cheers.