RAM upgrade for Predator Helios 16 PH16-71-72YG

Options
kongmingtwo
kongmingtwo Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited June 2023 in Predator Laptops

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Predator Helios 16 from Amazon and am looking to upgrade the RAM capacity from 16GB to 32GB and was looking for a QVL that might have serial numbers for compatible kits? According to the purchase page my model is

Predator Helios 16 PH16-71-72YG

But the acer store shows my project registered as simply

PH16-71

If anyone has any information on where I can find compatible upgrades I'd appreciate it! I've done some googling but no luck so far…

[Edited the thread to add model name]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Kongmingtwo, your Predator Helios 16 PH16-71-72YG has an Intel Core i7 13th Gen 13700HX (2.10GHz) - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 so don't upgrade and/or fit the DDR5-5600MHz type ram as it will not work, fit the ram specs that I've given you above from the new and official Predator Helios 16 PH16-71-72YG service guide, There are some people that can’t help but make comments here to confuse things, so be aware of that and be careful!

Answers

• StevenGen
    edited June 2023
    Options

The -72YG are a model specific numbers that specifies cpu and gpu types, and those reference numbers are an inhouse Acer specific model number, the most important number is the PH16-71 as that is what Acer refers all its drivers, bios and ram to.

This is your Predator Helios 16 PH16-71-72YG memory specs from its SG and it can be upgraded to a max total of 32GB (2x16GB DDR5-4800MHz) into its 2x ram slots.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,264 Trailblazer
    Options

This vid shows how to upgrade your laptop
    https://laptopmedia.com/highlights/how-to-open-acer-predator-helios-16-ph16-71-disassembly-and-upgrade-options/
    It supports DDR5 modules

This Kingston was tested in your model as single Channel (maximum RAM) if you want Dual Channel you need 2x 16GB same specifications:
    https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KVR56S46BD8-32.pdf

Also Crucial has compatible DDR5 modules but the maximum RAM is 1x 32 GB.

https://www.crucial.com/catalog/memory/ddr5-laptop

• StevenGen
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Kongmingtwo, your Predator Helios 16 PH16-71-72YG has an Intel Core i7 13th Gen 13700HX (2.10GHz) - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 so don't upgrade and/or fit the DDR5-5600MHz type ram as it will not work, fit the ram specs that I've given you above from the new and official Predator Helios 16 PH16-71-72YG service guide, There are some people that can’t help but make comments here to confuse things, so be aware of that and be careful!

• kongmingtwo
    kongmingtwo Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks, all!

• raindropmusings
    raindropmusings Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options

Hi, Hijacking this thread because I'm not sure what is meant by "so don't upgrade and/or fit the DDR5-5600MHz type ram as it will not work".
    I'm using a PHN16-71. (Acer Neo 13500HX / 4060 variant). Which RAM do you think is best for this unit? I thought any DDR5 RAM with 4800 would work.

• StevenGen
    edited June 2023
    Options

Yes, the DDR5-4800 iis the ram that I’m suggesting as the DDR5-5600 won’t work as its for the i9 CPU, its outlined very simply above, its not complicated.

• Charall
    Charall Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hopefully I am not too late, but I did an upgrade to the PH16-71, added 64gb kingston fury beast 5600mhz CL40 ram to the laptop.

Worked like a charm, booted up after a few seconds. But the ram speeds set to 5200mhz with CL38

• DasDoomguy
    DasDoomguy Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

Just bought this beast of a gaming laptop. intel core i9 with RTX 4080 and love it. Has Asus before and alien ware. The build quality on this is amazing and stays cooler than any other laptop.

BUT I wanted more memory and something with lower timings. I ended up on new and bought 32GB of DDR5 5600MHZ at 40-40-40 timing. Was between this and some kingston but since its ECC memory on Kingston wasnt sure how it would work with this system.

I have used GSkills over the years on PC builds I have done and have been rock solid. Was considering Samsung but after doing some research DD5 5600mhz is hit and miss. Liked Crucial but timings was too slow.

I opened up the laptop with t7 I believe and removed the old ramslots. I covered my new ones with heat shield simular to factory but just layed on top of the ram slots no wrapping around.

After a min or so for the system to recognize the new ram I went into the Bios and all good. Booted into windows and works great. About do play some MW3 and New world . If there is any updates I will post but wanted to share this

The ram model I bough is F5-5600S4040A16GX2-RS

FYI amazon has it as well but was over a week to ship and New egg got it to me in 2 days for $15.

Thanks hope this helps everyone

• DasDoomguy
    Options

Just bought this beast of a gaming laptop. intel core i9 with RTX 4080 and love it. Has Asus before and alien ware. The build quality on this is amazing and stays cooler than any other laptop.

BUT I wanted more memory and something with lower timings. I ended up on new and bought 32GB of DDR5 5600MHZ at 40-40-40 timing. Was between this and some kingston but since its ECC memory on Kingston wasnt sure how it would work with this system.

I have used GSkills over the years on PC builds I have done and have been rock solid. Was considering Samsung but after doing some research DD5 5600mhz is hit and miss. Liked Crucial but timings was too slow.

I opened up the laptop with t7 I believe and removed the old ramslots. I covered my new ones with heat shield simular to factory but just layed on top of the ram slots no wrapping around.

After a min or so for the system to recognize the new ram I went into the Bios and all good. Booted into windows and works great. About do play some MW3 and New world . If there is any updates I will post but wanted to share this

FYI amazon has it as well but was over a week to ship and New egg got it to me in 2 days for $15.

• DasDoomguy
    Options

BUT I wanted more memory and something with lower timings. I ended up on new egg and bought 32GB of DDR5 5600MHZ at 40-40-40 timing. Was between this and some kingston but since its ECC memory on Kingston wasnt sure how it would work with this system.

I opened up the laptop with t7 I believe and removed the old ramslots. I covered my new ones with heat shield similar to factory but just layed on top of the ram slots no wrapping around.

NOTE MAKE SURE to update your bios before this so will work with XMP profile and support 5600mhz!

• DasDoomguy
    Options

BUT I wanted more memory and something with lower timings. I ended up on new egg and bought 32GB of DDR5 5600MHZ at 40-40-40 timing. Was between this and some kingston but since its ECC memory on Kingston wasnt sure how it would work with this system.

NOTE MAKE SURE to update your bios before this so will work with XMP profile and support 5600mhz!