Why does my Acer Aspire 7's processor i5-9300H underclocks to 800MHz while gaming?

ds0rder
ds0rder Member Posts: 3 New User
edited June 2023 in Aspire Laptops

Acer Aspire 7 (2020)
Model : A715-75G (NHQ87SI0010XXXXX)

Processor : i5-9300H
GPU : GTX1650
Ram : 8GB
Bios Version : v2.06

[Edited the content to hide sensitive information]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,888 Trailblazer

The reason is because the laptop is utilizing the GTX1650 GPU to its fullest and the CPU is hardly being used which means that your laptop is suffering from a GPU bottleneck. Your laptops CPU to GPU configuration has 13.7% of graphic card bottleneck which can only be fixed with altering the resolution, as in laptops you cant change either the CPU or GPU. Consider to also upgrade the ram to at least 16GB total at 2x 8GB DDR4 and same ram as you have, just add another 1x 8GB DDR4 of the same ram that you have installed in your laptop now, so that the laptop will operate in dual channel memory mode, which is 100% better for overall and gaming operation.

A715 -75G memory specs

Acer A715-75G suggested ram type modules

Note: If you are experiencing processor bottleneck, increasing your resolution will have a high impact on your graphic card and it's utilization will increase. Also when you are experiencing graphic card bottleneck, lowering your resolution will allow your graphic card to process more data and achieve higher frames per second. More frames per second will put higher impact on your processor because it needs to prepare more data for your graphic card. You can reduce this bottleneck by changing your screen resolution to one of these resolutions.

• SureCanDoComputers
    SureCanDoComputers Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

There is also a good chance there is a charging or battery issues, when this happens, CPU will get throttled.

• ds0rder

It has been 3 years that I have purchased this laptop and the first 2 years it was a rock solid laptop. Then I started to see undervolting videos because the i5-9300H was not a good processor to begin with. Now to be honest I have used Intel XTU and Throttle Stop for Undervolting and have not achieved any success. For the first two years the process would hit a stable 3100MHz to 3500MHz after the turbo period, but now it clocks down to 800MHz. I don't think the RAM will provide the fix. The CPU cannot go from 3100MHz to 800MHz. I think it's some failed setting that is proposed by XTU or Throttle Stop that is limiting the CPU.
    The i5-9300H and GTX1650 is a good combination to be honest and the bottleneck should be this bad.

• ds0rder

How can I know if there is a battery or charger issue? Is there any way to know the total voltage drawn by the system. When I start gaming the CPU would draw a healthy 25W to 30W but after 5 mins it would be back to 8W with 800MHz clock speed.