A514-53 some keys randomly not working or some keys now never work such as full stop ad comma

Options
dfernand
dfernand Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

yes for 1 month now same issue a few keys just never work or sometimes start working again and I have to use the virtua1 keyboard to get them to work Sometimes uninstalling the HID keyboard driver and the Microsoft Standard PS 2 driver fixes it but then it reverts with the prob1ems . The enter key, the comma key, the full stop key, the p key and the l key often just do not work.

On top of this the power camb1e random1y powers up or not depending how hard it is pressed in and despite getting a new power cable it doesn´t fix it.

This Acer Aspire A514-53 bought during c0vid 1ockdown is the worst 1aptop I have ever owned It is almost unusble .

Anyone got a fix for the keyboard at 1east ? I looked at driver updates, bios updates but that doesnt fix anything, taking it to an asus service center is not an option, if none can suggest anything this laptop i going in the bin and it is the last ACER product I will ever buy. I see on the forums that other people have been having similar issues since 2020 or so

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,250 Trailblazer
    Options

If only one or two keys are acting up it may be dirt accumulated under the keys, does it feel spongy when pressed? An Acer keyboard should have a positive click when pressed. Try cleaning the affected keys with a strong paper strip (0.1mm) or parted (pulled apart) bamboo toothpick (0.1mm thick) and wiggle it under the keys while toggling the key till you feel it is getting a response. The KB cable may be loose or have a bad connection inside. A 2-year-old keyboard should not have any issues unless liquid is spilled on it. Send your laptop to Acer Services in your country to check the keyboard.

• dfernand

Tinkerer

Options

I doubt that it is dirt as sometimes when I go into system devices and uninstall the keyboard drivers both of them and then restart the laptop the laptop automatically restarts the laptop and windows automatically installs those two fundamental keyboard drivers and say a key the previously didn´t work suddenly works perfectly again but after a while say 3 hours or so or after a power down that same key reverts to not working

again This keyboard drivers uninstall thing doesn´t work all the time and sometimes makes no difference

A loose internal ribbon keyboard may be the issue I have never opened up the lapto before but I have opened up many laptops before with no issues to fix thigs so I may try that but I am not hopeful as my laptop has not left the room in the 2 or so years I have had it and has not been moved about

Sometimes from one minute to the next on the same Windows session a key may not work and then suddenly for say 20 minutes works again perfectly some keys you have to get to work by pressing down hard and then it works 'not recommended´ but then in a different Windows session then suddenly work normally again some keys like punctuation never work no more and one key the l key sometimes works normally and you have to hold it down for two seconds to get that Windows ´repeat key´ function for the l key only to manifest itself (yes I know there are Windows delay and repeat key timing settings and I have tried those)

One interesting thing about my case is that it is a Spain Spanish Keyboard but I have it set to ENGLISH UK so maybe that is an issue but I have tried reverting to Spanish only Windows settings only and that has not fixed the issue with the keys

I thought about it perhaps being some external program like virus or similar that is reading my key presses and somehow not displaying the keys I press after intercepting them but I do not think so I have ran McAfee virus scans and checked the TASK MANAGER on windows for programs that could do this and checked all my running Windows Services and I can find nothing suspicious

My ´Windows 11 and bios and Asus machine updates are all current so that is not the issue

I will lift one of the keys that is not working and look for dirt but I bet that i find nothing whatsover and it does not fix the problem

One guy on the forums claimed that it is an issue with ASUS laptop power up and power down options in Windows I have tried that and again no success also there are posts on these forums where ASus computers have been returned to Asus services with exactly the same problem and returned to the customer with no fix for the problem

This seems to be a problem with the Asus A514 and A515 line of laptops and if Asus could just please come clean and state if its a typical problem with loose ribbon cables or the BIOS not being fully compatible with the Microsoft keyboard drivers given the Asus keyboard hardware then just say so and state whether or not you can fix it or cannot fix it

If I plug in an external physical USB keyboard there are no issues when I type into this A514 Asus laptop all keys are typed in perfectly which makes me think that this is not a virus intercepting keystrokes and not displaying them or maybe displaying them intermittently

Anyone who has fixed this problem out there help me or is this A514 laptop destined for the bin

• dfernand

Tinkerer

Options

In 2020 I paid €679,99 (Euros) for  my Acer Apsire 5 A514-53, some keys won't work now and again and some for most of the time, the power connection is wonky and needs to be pressed in hard, this is after getting power unit and cable replacements and now I pluck a single key off to see if it needs a clean underneath the entire keyboard is dead now.

Absolute junk Acer laptops, will never, ever buy any of your products ever again. That is all.