Acer Swift 3 SF314-43, when powering on from shutdown always no display.

Pariston
Pariston Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter

When turning it on after a shutdown, backlight keys will be on, but always no display. I have to hold and press the power button every time then press it again for display to come back on. I'm worried doing this force shutdown will damage the laptop.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer

That sounds like you have an app that doesn't respond well to sleep modes. The long press of the power button forces a power off, which of course kills that app, then things start as normal. Does it take some time from when you close the laptop until the problem occurs? For instance, can you close it, wait five minutes then open it and have it work?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Pariston

What app could it be? I suspect it might MS Edge or Windows Defender not closing properly.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,215 Trailblazer

Edge and Windows11 Defender are not causing BDODs, AMD-Ryzen 5 maybe.

IMO a Power Plan issue, if you use Fast Startup, disable that and shut down completely. Reset Power Plan to default and select Balanced plan. Your worry about forcing shutdown with the power button is somewhat justified: it may corrupt files in Sysmain (that preloads your frequently used apps in RAM). Go online on the internet and paste this in the Command Prompt:
    Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth Enter and if not completed successfully rerun the command till OK.

Then paste this in that same Command Prompt window: SFC /scannow Enter and that will repair your system files, rerun till you see "No violations found'.

Reboot and if you have BSOD again look at the Event Viewer logs for critical errors at the time of your last booting also check the Kernel problem reports in Security and Maintenance>Maintenance>Reliability Monitor>View problem reports. if anything hints to GPU issues uninstall your AMD display driver in safe mode and reboot, do not reinstall the AMD driver but let Windows11 find the best driver and install it.

• billsey

Boot in safe mode with networking and test. If the problem goes away it's most likely a third party app. Edge and Defender are installed on all Windows laptops, so it's very unlikely to be that.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Pariston

Alright, I followed everything. The results are okay it seems. The no display problem only occurs after a shutdown, not after a reboot. And I never encountered a bsod, only no display. I'm on Windows 10, I uninstalled Edge because it keeps popping up, only using Chrome.

• Pariston
    edited June 2023

@Puraw Here are the results:

• Pariston

Yes, I did all that. The results are okay. The no display problem only occurs after a shutdown, not after a reboot. And I never encountered BSOD, only no display. I'm on Windows 10, I've uninstalled Edge because it keeps popping up, only using Chrome.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,215 Trailblazer

Latest version of Edge (114.0.1823.37) is far superior to Chrome or Firefox, it is faster, integrated in Windows10, prints to PDF and interacts well with most 3rd party apps (never freezes), uses far less resources (memory and battery) and with Smart Screen offers better security. Because you did not set Edge as your default browser it popped up. I suggest you try Edge again. 😉

• billsey

Did you test in safe mode? I doubt it's an issue with your browser, unless you have something malicious installed as a Chrome addon. The SFC scan tends to point to it not being an OS issue, and safe mode should keep all the third party apps from running.