Wifi card recommendation for Predator 500 PH517-61 (AMD) ?

Khelgar
Khelgar Member Posts: 44 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited June 2023 in Predator Laptops

Got Killer 1550 wireless adapter on this 4 year old Predator PH517-61 and have always had problems with wireless even though my other devices have no issues with the same connection. Drivers were no help either.

Would changing the wifi card help? Any recommendations?

[Edited the thread to add model name]

Answers

• Khelgar
    Khelgar Member Posts: 44 Devotee WiFi Icon

As i said drivers were no help. I also tried this one to no avail.

I've literally started to hook my phone to the laptop with a usb cable to get its wifi connection via tethering. Laptop itself is very inconsistent with the same wifi, but the phone works flawlessly..

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,217 Trailblazer

Your wireless profile in Windows networking may be corrupted:

• Click the Connect button, where you would usually click to connect to a wireless network, on the taskbar at the bottom right-hand side of your screen.
    • Click Network and Internet Settings.
    • Click Wi-Fi on the left, if it is not already selected.
    • Click Manage Known Networks
    • Click the network(s) that you are not able to connect to.
    • Click the Forget button.
    • Close the Settings window, and connect like normal. If the access point still does not appear, try restarting your machine by clicking Start Power Restart.

What are you WIFI problems with KILLER exactly, have you looked at your warnings and errors in Event Viewer, did you check the Advanced Adapter settings in Device manager:
    802.11a/b/g Wireless Mode or Wireless Mode
    802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode or HT Mode
    802.11n mode (for legacy 11n adapters only)
    Channel width or 802.11n channel width(band 2.4/5GHz)
    Ad-hoc channel 802.11 b/g
    Ad-hoc QoS mode
    ARP offloading for WoWLAN
    Fat channel intolerant
    Global BG scan blocking
    GTK rekeying for WoWLAN
    MIMO power save mode
    Mixed mode protection
    NS offloading for WoWLAN
    Packet Coalescing
    Preferred band
    Roaming aggressiveness
    Sleep on WoWLAN disconnect
    Throughput Booster or Throughput Enhancement
    Transmit power
    U-APSD support
    Wake on magic packet
    Wake on pattern match

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,928 Trailblazer

Just in addition as I do have experience with the newer AX1650i Wi-Fi/BT card, as and also these Wi-Fi/BT cards are very reliable and very rarely go wrong. Try the other Acer fitted card for your Predator 500 PH517-61 SG list below which is the Killer AX1550i card or go for the Killer AX1650i.

Btw, the newer AX1650i is also fitted to the newer Predators and Nitro laptops but this card does have problems with new Intel Bluetooth drivers for Win-11 (not Wi-Fi drivers for Win-11) but I don’t know about Win-10, as my Nitro laptop has only operated on Win-11 OS with this card but it still works perfectly with the Acer oem Wi-Fi and bluetooth drivers. Otherwise and if a new card doesn’t work, then there is something wrong with your laptops slot where this card fits into or the mobo as these cards 99% of times work perfectly.

Wi-Fi/BT cards that Acer fitted to the Predator 500 PH517-61 laptop:

• XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

You can even try out Intel AX2xx cards.

Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • RAMChYLD
    RAMChYLD Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited August 2023

I upgraded mine to a Killer 1675 - basically an AX210 with Killer firmware so I can continue using Killer Doubleshot and all the other existing Killer tools that the laptop shipped with. Works surprisingly well I must say.