Aspire 5 A514-55-58RY SSD upgrade kit is not in the box.How to get it in Ireland

Muzztec
Muzztec Member Posts: 4 New User
edited December 2023 in Aspire Laptops

After a bit of Youtube research, I recently bought an Aspire 5 A514-55-58RY. According to the "research" there's supposed to be an SSD upgrade kit that's kindly provided by Acer. I didn't get one of these in the box, and only had the laptop and the usual minimal paperwork.

As I've just got my hands on a Crucial SSD, I'd like to be able to fit it.

How do I get my hands on the necessary kit in Ireland?😁

[Edited the thread to add model name]

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,229 Trailblazer

Your laptop supports PCIe Gen 4.0 (4x) M.2 SSD up to 2TB. On top of that it should have a bracket for a 2.5" Sata HDD/SSD (next to the fan) if the spot is empty (no cable, no bracket) insist that your retailer provides that upgrade kit for free or try to buy it online (won't be easy).

https://youtu.be/pQX3GNQLskU

• Muzztec

Thanks for the reply. I'd already seen that video, and others.

I contacted the retailer, Currys in Ireland, and they couldn't help. They told me that I should contact Acer as they could find no mention of the kit on the box. I contacted Acer and had to deal with the most obnoxious customer support person I've ever dealt with. He told me to contact the retailer. I explained to him that there was more chance of Acer having their kit than the retailer, and that the retailer had no kits of any description.

The fella sent me a link to the Crucial website, which was of no use whatsoever, and also gave me a telephone number of an authorised Acer parts supplier in the UK. As the kit is supposed to be free I asked him why he was directing me to a site where I would be paying for something that was supposed to be free.

I couldn't actually believe his attitude, and he even said that the information about the free kit mentioned in this forum was wrong. I think customer service in general has gone down awful lot in recent years, but this is the worst. I dread to think what would happen if I actually needed customer support for the laptop if it ever broke down, it would be like talking to the wall.

I think I'll be in touch with Acer's complaints department if they've dared to have one. 🤣

• jtobias01
    jtobias01 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited December 2023

Fellow sufferer here. Just bought my Aspire 5 A514-55-511P today with a shiny SATA SSD to install. Very miffed at the lack of mount, screws and cable. Have emailed Curry's support but doubt they will provide a solution.

Did you eventually reach a solution @Muzztec ?

• Muzztec

In the end I bought a connector for the SSD from these people. https://www.zandparts.com/en/acer-50-hepn8-007

I would have bought the bracket from them but they didn't have any in stock, and it looks like they still haven't got any in stock.

https://www.zandparts.com/en/acer-33-hepn8-003

I couldn't find a reasonably priced bracket anywhere else and I resorted to a strip of velcro that I bought in a hardware shop. The SSD has been fitted for several months and I've had no problems with the

After all the messing around I concluded that it was only the buyers in the US and Canada who got the free bracket and connector, and anyone else had to pay way over the top to get their hands on them. Acer scores 1 out of 10 for that BS.

• Muzztec

Like Acer I missed a bit. I've had no problems with the laptop after using Velcro.