Predator PH317-53 Helios 300 My touchpad stopped working

GeorgiDimitrov28
GeorgiDimitrov28 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited June 2023 in Predator Laptops

Hello,

since last night my touchpad does not respond, neither the two buttons on it.

I have already tried uninstalling the drivers, installing new ones from Synaptic/Acer sites and trying with windows finding new ones, but neither of this works.

Im open for any ideas on how to fix this as im unable to use my laptop without mouse..

The model of the machine is Predator PH317-53 ( Helios 300 ).

[Edited the thread to add model name]

Best Answer

• GeorgiDimitrov28

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Thanks for your comments!

I have finally solved this issue.

As you said, i went to the BIOS settings, but however i couldnt find anything related to touchpad settings there.

I went through Acer forums and there was a guy with the same problem on the same machine.

He had tried clicking random buttons on the keyboard + "Ctr", i tried that and when the laptop started,kaboom - touchpad is working. I have no idea why and how this works, but its working as new now.

Thank you guys for your help, i appreciate it.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,888 Trailblazer
    edited June 2023

You need to check if the actual touchpad is faulty or its cable is not lose (see below) for that you need to open the laptop up and check that cable below, if that cable is connected then its the actual touchpad that needs replacing with either of the touchpads below. Touchpads either work or don't and their software is very reliable.

PH317-53 touchpads

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,065 Trailblazer

paste this line in the command prompt: pnputil /enum-devices /connected Enter and look for this:

If you cannot find this or the Synaptics device you are installing the wrong touchpad driver, you may have an Elan touchpad instead of Synaptics.

You probably are using a mouse, if not connect a USB mouse and check if it is working as you will lose control once you uninstall the drivers below:
    Open Device Manager: In Human Interface Devices: Uninstall 12C HID Device and HID-compliant touchpad. In Mice and other pointing devices: Uninstall Elan (or Synaptics) 12C Filter Driver.

Logon to Acer Support and download both touchpad drivers, Create 2 folders "Synaptics" and "Elan" and extract the downloaded zip files in the correct folders. Start with the Elan folder: Expand the Elan folder and look for Setup.exe, right click on that file, properties, and put a check mark in the Unblock box at the bottom of the priorities window. Right click again on Setup.exe and click on Run as administrator, click on Yes in the security prompt. Reboot.

If that does not work, uninstall the Elan drivers (see above) and try to install the Synaptics driver, same procedure. If still no results you may have a broken touchpad interface, see StevenGen's comment above. Send/bring your laptop to Acer Services in your country to replace the touchpad.

• eGomes
    eGomes Member Posts: 2,846 Guru

Check also, Other devices (?) in the Device Manager (devmgmt.msc).

• GeorgiDimitrov28

Tinkerer

Hello Puraw,

first of all, many thanks for your comment, i tried doing your steps 1 by 1 and there is some differencies i found on the way.

i will post few pics here so you can check.

This is what i see in the CMD after i typed your command, no other "mouse" related text, might be the USB one im using?! no idea.

this is the extracted zip of Elantech drivers, no setup.exe file, cant even do much when clicking properties on anything, when i run the install.cmd exe it is found malicious by the windows defender, however i can bypass it by "run anyways" button, but nothing happens after that.

The synaptics zip has setup.exe file,but still nothing i can do there with the properties.

Anyways even after i install it with the setup.exe, the faulty driver appears I2C HID on the device manager and no change at all..

If you have any other ideas, i will be really grateful, if not, i may need another touchpad :/

• Puraw
    edited June 2023

You are on Windows10, maybe you need to Reset this PC (without losing your files).

The Elan extracted folder for Windows11 contains the Setup.exe file I just ran it:

• GeorgiDimitrov28

Tinkerer

Thats really strange,

i am on Windows 11, but all drivers i find on Acer website are for Win10, maybe thats why they dont work?

Would you share the link for Win11 drivers?

That screenshots definitely look different from what i downloaded.

• Puraw
    edited June 2023

Your system is completely up-to-date (May 24, 2023), but the touchpad drivers are not. You may be downloading from a wrong Acer Support site, I give you the W11 links below.

This Intel serial IO driver is W11, did you download and install that one?

• Date:2022/09/12
    • Version:30.100.2104.1
    • Vendor:Intel
    • Size:2.69 MB

I was expecting that Windows11 would install the correct touchpad version for W11. After you deleted the touchpad drivers I advised above, did you reinstall them again or Windows11 when you rebooted?

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/TouchPad/TouchPad_ELANTECH_13.6.19.2_W11x64_A.zip?acerid=637715150625252279&Step1=&Step2=&Step3=PREDATOR%20PH315-54&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/TouchPad/TouchPad_Synaptics_19.0.25.10_W11x64_A.zip?acerid=637715151298946310&Step1=&Step2=&Step3=PREDATOR%20PH315-54&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

• GeorgiDimitrov28

Tinkerer

Looks like the Serial IO driver i find is older version as well, i have no idea why im finding only those drivers on the Acer website.

i cant even select Windows 11 on the website, its just 10.

Looks like all drivers i see on the website are 2-3 years old, which i doubt that they have no new versions.

The links that you provided, i could download the two drivers, but when i click properties on their setup.exe files i have no

Unblock box at the bottom , dont even have the priorities window.

Should the drivers be extracted to the Windows drivers folder in "C" where my system drivers are?

I tried that with the other ones, but seems like the system wont let me to extract them there..

• XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Can you share the Hardware ID of your touchpad from Device Manager?

Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • GeorgiDimitrov28

Tinkerer

Would you guide me how to find this ID?

I apologize, but cant really find it.

If this helps.

• XdxD
    edited June 2023

Choose Hardware IDs like this in your drop-down list:

• GeorgiDimitrov28

Tinkerer

Hello XdxD,

is this the correct snip you wanted?

Looks like Elantech to me.

• XdxD
    edited June 2023

"I have already tried uninstalling the drivers, installing new ones from Synaptic/Acer sites and trying with windows finding new ones, but neither of this works"

Did you try installing Elantech driver? Also check in BIOS if Advanced touchpad is on or off after you've installed Elan tech drivers for Windows 10 (will work fine in Windows 11 too).

• GeorgiDimitrov28

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Thanks for your comments!

I have finally solved this issue.

As you said, i went to the BIOS settings, but however i couldnt find anything related to touchpad settings there.

I went through Acer forums and there was a guy with the same problem on the same machine.

He had tried clicking random buttons on the keyboard + "Ctr", i tried that and when the laptop started,kaboom - touchpad is working. I have no idea why and how this works, but its working as new now.

Thank you guys for your help, i appreciate it.

• XdxD

Never thought that would be the solution, haha. For my PH315-54-72ZJ, it's FN+F2 for disabling and enabling Touchpad.

• GeorgiDimitrov28

Tinkerer

Same for mine, but FN + "F7", however this never worked though, even if was "ON" it didnt work.

When i went to BIOS and started clicking CTR+all of the keys on the keyboard, it worked when i re-booted the machine :D

Strange, but works..

• XdxD

Mark this comment of yours as answer for your query so that others directly see it at the top when they open this thread.

• Do you have a multimeter available? I advise disconnecting the cable from the touchpad and the motherboard and running a continuity test:

Set the multimeter to the continuity or diode scale. Then, touch the red tips to one terminal (trail) of the cable and the black tip to the other end of the cable terminal. The multimeter will have to beep. Then invert the multimeter tips, which should beep again. Then, do the same procedure on the other cable terminals:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)