NITRO 5 515-44 won't boot with second hard drive enabled

Options
jan890
jan890 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited June 2023 in Nitro Gaming

Hello everyone. I recently installed a second hard drive which was included with the laptop. And the system won't start

It reports error code 0xc0000017

I tried everything. To remove battery and check if it was all in place, cleaned everything well.

Tried to start the automatic repair in safe mode, but didnt work.

I checked if there was errors in the disk.. i tried every solution findable on the web. Changed the boot priority of course.. everything. Then i discovered this pc is not new to this kind of problems..

So now i don't know what to do because i tried every solutions, but the system wont start. Then if i go to the BIOS and disable the HDD 2 everything works just fine.

This is the exact model ACER NITRO 515-44

I hope someone could help me out, i have seen here on the forum many have just given up and use an external drive.

[Edited the thread to add model name]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options

Please post phone photos of BIOS Information and Advanced tabs. Also press Ctrl+S to reveal any hidden options

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,946 Trailblazer
    Options

What model Nitro 5 do you have e.g. AN515-xx-xx and what hard drive are you referring to, is it an M.2 PCIe or a 2.5" SATA drive, as the newer Nitro 5 laptops have a very awkward SATA mobo plug that does not lock properly and stops the laptop from booting due to this drive not connecting 100%. Give us more details.

• JackE
    Options

Please post phone photos of BIOS Information and Advanced tabs. Also press Ctrl+S to reveal any hidden options

Jack E/NJ

• jan890

Tinkerer

Options

It's a SATA 1 TB. I have unplugged multiple times and assured myself that is well linked and clean.

This is the exact model ACER NITRO 515-44

With CTRL+S i dont get anything.

Anyway here's all the pictures. As you see i have the HDD 2 disabled to make the PC work. If i enable HDD2 nothing work, i tried command prompt, sfc scannow, repairing the image and all the solutions i could find on the web.

Error Code: 0xc0000017 Your PC Needs To Be Repaired

I tried all of these

1. Disconnect all external devices
    2. Disable your antivirus programs temporarily
    3. Update your device drivers
    4. Run SFC and DISM
    5. Check and clean bad memory entries in BCD store

And maybe even more (checking disk for errors, trying to restore to factory settings (but doesnt work with HDD2 enabled)

• JackE
    Options

HDD2 port is for the 2.5" SATA3 drive. HDD0 & HDD1 are for the m.2 cards. Did you try enabling HDD2 port and disabling HDD1m.2 port if it's empty?

Jack E/NJ

• jan890

Tinkerer

Options
  • JackE
    Options

Do you get the same error with all 3 ports enabled in the BIOS menu but with 2.5" SATA3 drive disconnected?

Jack E/NJ

• jan890

Tinkerer

Options

No i get the error only if i enable hdd 2 with the sata connected. everything works perfectly without the hdd 2 enabled

• JackE
    Options

I recently installed a second hard drive which was included with the laptop. > > >No i get the error only if i enable hdd 2 with the sata connected. > >

The 2.5" SATA3 drive is likely bad. What is brand & model number of the drive? Why wasn't it installed when you acquired the machine? Is it a used, refurbished or a new drive? Do not try to use it again until we know some history of this 2.5" SATA3 drive.

Jack E/NJ

• jan890

Tinkerer

Options

The sata was new. It's a samsung SD

I dont know if to buy a new one maybe.. but it was new and closed so.. maybe there is another problem and i will buy another one for nothing..

i saw on the forum that its not new for acer nitro 5 users to encounter problems while installing another HDD..

most of them just gave up, i didnt see any solution on the forum or on the internet working for me. Probably if i buy another HDD it wont work either.. its a native problem of acer nitro series.. they should fix it

• jan890

Tinkerer

Options

Excuse me . precise model

V -NAND SSD 860 EVO 1 TB SAMSUNG

Model MZ-76E1T0

• JackE
    Options

was included with the laptop. »»I dont know if to buy a new one maybe.. but it was new and closed so..

What do you mean by "was new and closed"? Why wasn't it already installed in the laptop if it was included with the laptop. Who did you get this laptop and drive from?

Jack E/NJ