Nitro 5 Spin (N17W1) can be turned on, but sometimes would be turned on with the dark display

Malcolm8H
Malcolm8H Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello everyone,

My laptop (NP515-51-86BZ) can be turned on, but sometimes can be turned on with the keyboard light up and black screen (the external keyboard can find that the Caps Lock light is not on. Confirmed that it is not the problem with the dispaly.) I use the adjustable current power suppy to find that it should take at least 1.5A to light up the screen normally, when it runs to about 1.0A at the dark display status.
Sometimes it would turned off and restart to the black screen with keyboard light up automatically during the boot process (the condition that can light up the screen) or a few seconds or dozens of seconds after access to Windows system. Then I can start and light the screen again after a long forced shutdown (pressing the switch for three seconds) in the black screen condition, or it may have to wait a few days to start and light the screen again. It can reboot to enter the black screen status with keyboard light up any time. It is quite irregular and random.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

There is a CMOS reset jumper on the motherboard:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,528 Pathfinder

May be a hardware issue (power supply). I suggest bringing your laptop to Acer Services in your country for checking.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,688 Trailblazer
    edited June 2023

Some additional info also. try to do a Battery Reset, at the underside of the laptops Battery reset pinhole - that simulates removing and reinstalling the battery. Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for four seconds.

If that doesn't work then open the back case (undo the 11 screws and pry the back cover off from the back top cover down) to remove the back cover off, then take the main battery out and disconnect the RTC/BIOS battery also, leave the laptop like that for 15min and then put everything back together and reboot the laptop, as all this will reset the IO and bis chips and any problems that this laptop might have with its screen issues. If it doesn't then there are other issues like the eDP cable that its plugs are not connected properly or lose (check the plugs at the mobo/scree ends) or there are power issues that need an experienced technician to analyse your laptop more thoroughly. Take your laptop to either Acer or an experienced tech in your area.

Battery Reset

RTC Battery

eDP Cables

• Hi! When you disable fast startup in power options, does the problem still occur?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Malcolm8H

Hi, I've tried different power charger before, and I haven't seen any change.
    According to your reminder, I have a detail to add, the first time this problem occurred because I once plugged in the wrong power charging adapter (please see the picture).The correct one is the right side, but I used the left one, and although it wasn't plugged in, but I don't know if it had an impact (such as static electricity burning out some hardware, or the program of a chip).

Thanks!

• Malcolm8H

Hi, I have tried the method, including changing the motherboard to another same laptop. But the problem remains.

The cost of sending a laptop to the maintenance center is too high in New Zealand. What we do is to put it no Trademe for sell maybe start from $1😭. Anyway, thank you very much.

• Malcolm8H

Hi, thanks for the sulotion. Will try it. By the way, Do you know if this laptop can clear CMOS, such as the jumper on PC motherboard, please?

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,528 Pathfinder

The thinner barrel pin on the DC power plug could have burned/coated the DC jack contacts inside, experimenting with an adjustable current power supply ("to find that it should take at least 1.5A to light up the screen normally when it runs to about 1.0A at the dark display status") may have done something to the PSU IC. Definitely recommend bringing the laptop to Acer Services.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

There is a CMOS reset jumper on the motherboard:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.